Broody Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by bicyclechick, Jun 12, 2011.

1. bicyclechick

bicyclechick New Egg

Jun 12, 2011
    I have two ladies who won't budge. Both are 1 year old. I am a new chicken steward so this is a new experiece for me. I have a couple q's:
    They haven't laid in two weeks. When the behavior began I took the eggs right away.
    When I kick them out of the coop they start pecking scratching and drinking immediately, run the length of the cooop three or four times, roll in dust, and go right back to sitting on their heinies.
    They are not eating much.
    Is it normal for brooky chickens to stop laying eggs?
    Is it harmful to let this run its course?
    Or Should I continue kicking them out or just let them stay put?

Thanks a million!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. I'm dealing with my first experience with a broody hen as well. Except I'm letting her sit on fertile eggs. I remove her from the nest 3 times a day so she can eat and drink. She then returns to the nest on her own. Good luck.

3. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

4. HatchingFever

HatchingFever Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    [​IMG] From the Buetiful San Dieago Ca

5. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC! glad you decided to join us. Good luck with your birds. In my opinion this is a natural behavior. We have a bird that does this for weeks at a time then runs around with everyone else for a while then goes back to sitting on the nest. We toss her out at least once a day to make sure she eats but otherwise leave her alone. It's a shame we don't have a rooster to fertilize eggs for her but, we don't want any more birds either.

6. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Hi from NC

7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    I carry my broodies around under my arm for awhile everyday. At least they get out and get something to eat and drink when I put them down. It's a good opportunity to pet them and love them up. [​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

10. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Sometimes you can break a broody hen by putting her in a cage that is in total darkness for a couple of days. It worked with an Australorp I had once. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by