Broody/chicks question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mvan42, May 19, 2019.

1. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    I feel like a crazy person I have posted so may questions in the past month or so. But here is another.

I have a broody with 3 chicks(found homes for 8) kept these three. (1week old). I also have 5 I hatched (3weeks old).

I am thinking it’s not going to work. But would the broody take the older ones, I know the younger the better. I also know they may pick on the smaller ones.

If I introduce them could it work

chrissynemetz likes this.
  2. ShouldabeenaVET

ShouldabeenaVET Songster

Dec 30, 2017
    wyoming/montanee line
    That's the thing,,,, one never knows/ Nothing ventured nothing gained. I would slip the older chicks one at a time. When Hen is asleep in behind her. I dont think it will work. But stranger things have happened. I've had weird things happen, sad things, miraculous things. There are no hard or fast rules to this chicken business IMHO
    :love good luck

3. Doc7

Doc7 Songster

May 12, 2018
    Central Virginia
    3 week old chicks in Maryland shouldn’t even need a broody? They should be off heat in this weather I would think. Mine are 6 weeks old now and were off heat in April with overnights in the 50s at 3 weeks old..

4. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    It’s not really for the broody part it’s mainly to give them more room , they are in a dog kennel right now. We are in the final stage of building a bigger coop. But still have things to do

5. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Do you have a pen big enough? All you can do is try. Momma won't adopt the bigger chicks but probably won't attack them either.

6. Mvan42

Mvan42 Songster

Mar 15, 2019
    Garrett County, Maryland
    Yea for the size they are and the amount of time they would be together it’s high enough. They all will be moved within a month to the new coop. Once it’s finished

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: