Broody chook questions!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dook, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Dook

Dook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Wagga Wagga, AUS
    I have a mixed breed mystery chicken part mixed layer, part bantom...she has a little rose comb but all feathered and about regular chicken size rather than bantom size...but from 6 months old she has been broody!

[​IMG]

To start with I made a wire pen for her to 'break' from broodyness. Took only 5 days for to break..but about 3 weeks later she'd be broody again. So she went on and off for months. We've decided we'll let her be a muma chicken and made her a separate mini coop with a nice cosy nest. We put her in and she wasn't happy at all to be off her regular nest! But after about 15mins she seems to have found the new nest and is now sitting.

I have a bunch of eggs from my other half's mums chickens, but she's been having a bad success rate of hatches with her current rooster. I'm wondering should I give my chicken these eggs and see if anything hatches or source some other eggs for her to have. (didn't want her to hatch my chickens eggs, as I'm unsure if they're related or not...as I hatched my hens and the rooster from same batch)

Originally we wanted to give her some duck eggs....but they are hard to source (fertile) and most people I've been asking say they are much too messy (especially for a smaller yard) So chicken eggs it is!

My questions are:

Will letting her be a mum stop her from being broody at least until the chicks are big? Or will she go broody sooner? Or even stop being broody all together?

Should I acquire different eggs if the ones I have are not so likely to hatch?

When she hatches chicks, is it ok for her and the little ones to free range along with the other chooks? or will they try to get her babies and be better off separated until they are big?

I've only ever hatched eggs with an incubator ...and what I've hatched have only been layer who dont go broody.....so a broody chook is all new to me! Thanks for your help! Any tips appreciated! =)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  2. ChickenAndMore

ChickenAndMore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2012
    Texas
    I would use your eggs and other eggs and see which hatch better. If she does become a mom she will not lay eggs for a few months. you should wait for at least 2-3 weeks before letting her and her chicks with the other chickens.

3. Dook

Dook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Wagga Wagga, AUS
    Thankyou ChickenAndMore! =) Going to try a few of mine plus a few others aswell and see how she goes with them =) She's settled into the new nest nicely so far, so will plan to get eggs under her for new years! =D

As for her not laying eggs...she hasnt laid for about 2 months (during her never ending broodyness) now, so a few months more wont be too bad! =) I'll make sure she is separated for a few weeks from the others too. =)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by