Broody chook's second time(PICTURES)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Joey8765, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Joey8765

Joey8765 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Australia
    Okay my Columbian Wyandotte Bantam had chicks like 2 months ago
    [​IMG] these are bantams

and she hatched 5 out of 7!! It was a great hatch rate, but sadly 4 of the 5 died from unknown causes.. just found them dead in the nest. poor things
    anyway, the one that survived wasnt even her baby, it was an egg i got from our isa browns that she hatched... anyway, this one is nearly as big as her because the mum (penny) is a bantam and the baby isn't so it's just as big as her which is funny because they don't go broody again until after their babies are full grown(i think)?
    [​IMG] mum and the baby that survived which is about 70 days old

yes well she is broody again!!!

shes sitting on 6 eggs, there were 7, but she kicked one out, she isn't really that big

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    omg the little babies are soooo cute!!!! I sort of wish one of my chickens went broody. [​IMG]
    good luck with yours!!! [​IMG]

3. Joey8765

May 8, 2010
    Australia
    thanks!! [​IMG]
    i hope your chickens go broody too !!

4. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They don't wait til the chicks are grown before going broody again, it just depends on the hen. I've got some hens that will stay with their chicks for up to 4 months, then I've got some that will leave theirs as soon as they can get up to the roosts (4-6 weeks old). I've had some young hens leave their chicks when they were just 3 weeks old...that one got trapped in her nest without a roost so she had no choice but to sit with them.

Last year my 2 silkie hens sat on the same nest. Together they hatched and raised 2 chicks. About 7 or 8 weeks later they decided to go broody again. So the 2 silkie hens and their 2 chicks sat on the nest. Together they hatched out 4 chicks [​IMG] 2 Mamas, 2 older babies, and 4 newborns...boy, was that a sight! [​IMG]

6. Joey8765

May 8, 2010
    Australia
    aw, hehe, that's cute [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by