Broody chukar! How common is this?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Woofless, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Woofless

Woofless Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    SD
    Anyone ever had a chukar go broody? I couldn't believe this when I first saw it....First couple mornings when I came in to feed & water, I figured I happened to catch her in the process of laying an egg (all the chukars tend to lay their eggs in a couple of spots in the pen) but sure enough she's been sitting there now for a good week....and I have checked on her at different times through the day....she is almost always on this nest except for brief dashes to the feeder & water once in a while.

[​IMG]

Not sure how many, if any will hatch.....but if they do, I am assuming it would be wisest to remove the chicks and put them in a brooder? There are 17 other adult chukars in this particular pen, so probably not a good place for ping-pong ball sized fuzzy butts [​IMG]

2. J3172

J3172 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2010
    Michigan
    That's awesome I wish my chuckers would go broody!

3. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Hope she stays with it!! Bill

4. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    [​IMG] thats awesome.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    If you could separate mom and babies it would probably be best to leave them with her. Maybe put her in a cage inside the pen that the babies can't get out of?

I don't know how common it is, but I do know that they will go broody. It's better if their habitat is more 'natural' but apparently it doesn't have to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by