1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Cinnamon Queen hen question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sgfrye, Jan 26, 2009.

1. sgfrye

sgfrye New Egg

Jan 24, 2009
    One of my 2 year old "Cinnamon Queen" girls has been acting broody for a couple of weeks. This Saturday she got more serious. She has been "setting" for 3 days with 5 eggs in her clutch. Has anyone had a successful "broody" Cinnamon queen hen? I have 2 Americauna roosters, 2 barred rock hens and 7 Cinnamon Queen hybrid hens. So far she is the most serious about setting. I know they aren't typical setters, but was wondering if anyone has had experience with them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks [​IMG]

2. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    Don't have a clue about broodiness. I am wondering what a "Cinnamon Queen" looks like? Do you have a picture?[​IMG]

3. sgfrye

sgfrye New Egg

Jan 24, 2009
    Cinnamon queens are one of the red sexlinks. maybe cross of Silver laced Wyandotte and New Hampshire red, some photos on Cacklehatcher.com. Great layers and very docile, sweet birds. thanks,

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    It certainly is unusual for them to sit but never impossible. I would watch her closely especially when it is close to hatch time to make sure she knows what to do with babies. I bet she will be fine.

5. riverhomela

riverhomela Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2008
    Mississippi
    [​IMG] well, I declare! I too have cinnamon queen hens, and they have failed to set on eggs yet! I was going to search and see if this chicken sets on her eggs or do I need another kind of hen to set her eggs for her. A friend came by last night and said that all chickens do not set their eggs, I thought they were joking........maybe not.

anne

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Sgfrye, you might want to look through this thread. You may already know all this, but you might see something that helps.

Isolate a Broody? Thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213218

Many of our hens have had the broodiness instinct bred out of them. Their job is to lay eggs, not hatch chicks. Incubators are for hatching chicks in the big operations and a lot of the little operations too. When they are broody, hens are not laying eggs but they are still eating food, disturbing the hens that are laying, and are labor intensive since they require special handling to break them from being broody. After a few generations of killing every hen that goes broody, the ones that are left don't go broody a lot. A few still do, but not many.

The ones that do go broody often do a pretty good job. It is instinctive after all. I'd think your odds are pretty good if she has really gone broody, but any hen, whether a Cinnamon Queen or a Silkie, can have problems with those instincts. They all bear watching, but I would not stress over it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by