Broody Cochin/Bantam mix???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silvercat76, Oct 27, 2011.

1. silvercat76

silvercat76 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    Hi all, looking for some help here. I've had chickens for a year now and love it. Went into my hen house to collect eggs and found my bantam mix hen laying on all my eggs(11) for that day (Monday). She also was screaming at me and just down right refused to get off the eggs. So I made my crate up for her with food, water, bedding and heat light for her. I was wondering if what I have done for her right so far? I've never had this experience before so I'm learning. How long will she lay on the eggs? When they hatch do I leave her in there? Is it common for hens to go broody this time of the year? Do I need to do anything or not do anything? Any advice would be great. Thanks Megan

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Hi all, looking for some help here. I've had chickens for a year now and love it. Went into my hen house to collect eggs and found my bantam mix hen laying on all my eggs(11) for that day (Monday). She also was screaming at me and just down right refused to get off the eggs. So I made my crate up for her with food, water, bedding and heat light for her. I was wondering if what I have done for her right so far? What temp is it where you live? If it is still fairly warm I don't think I would have a heat lamp on here. However, if it's fairly cool I might leave it on her. Everything else sounds just fine!! I've never had this experience before so I'm learning. How long will she lay on the eggs?She will Sit on the eggs for 21 days, on day 21 they chicks will hatch. Asuming they're fertile, etc. When they hatch do I leave her in there? You can leave them with her, or take them away and raise them yourself, which ever you prefer. If you choose to leave the chicks with her I would move her and her babies to a quiet, warm place away from the other chickens so they will not bother the chicks. I've had chickens kill, and eat the babies chicks after they hatch so after that I never leave momma hen and her chickadees with the main flock. Is it common for hens to go broody this time of the year? Several years ago I had a hen go broody in September and hatch out 4-5 chicks, she was a good mommy to them all winter. I had a hen go broody last month and hatch out two chicks. I don't think it's uncommon for hens to go broody during this time of the year. Do I need to do anything or not do anything? Any advice would be great. Thanks Megan
    Good Luck Megan! [​IMG] Please keep my updated on your hatch sweety! [​IMG] [​IMG]

~Aspen

3. silvercat76

silvercat76 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2011
    Mountaidale
    We live in upstate NY and it's getting cooler/colder during the day and night. I've had my heat lamp on in my main coop for about a month on and off. I have her and the eggs in alarge dog crate up away from the rest of my gang. I did this the day I found her laying on them because I have heard hens will sometimes not leave eggs to eat and drink. So in her crate she has the ability to lay on her eggs and it get off to eat or drink. Since we are goin into fall/winter here in NY I believe it's best for her to raise them. You say it should be quiet I have o place that is quiet in my main coop for her a d her eggs, but I believe just having her up and away from the main flock is fine what do you think about that? What about the chicks during the winter months? Will they be fine with just a heat lamp and shavings? Should I leave her heat lamp on 24/7? Is there anything else I need to know before hand or while she is laying on eggs? Thank you for all your helpful information.

4. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Because of where you live and the weather (temps) I personally would not let her sit. The chicks will hatch out well into November and it really is too cold for them at that time. Unless you want baby chicks in the house until they feather up, I would not do it. Just keep taking the eggs every day and eventually she will give up. She'll go broody again and hopefully in the spring she'll be able to hatch out a brood. You really are doing her a favor.

Right now I have a Jersey Giant hen that wants to sit, we just keep taking the eggs every day, even here in Fla the temps get too chilly for chicks this time of year.

5. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I let my hen brood inside the coop in a small dog crate which does two things, keeps the others from laying more in her nest, and keeps the chicks safe from the big girls jumping off the perch in the morning. (I open the door to the crate once the big girls go out)

Eggs take 21 days each. Some may be newer than others so the entire hatch could take up to a week longer than the first. Sometimes once she has a few she will quit and the others go to waste unless you have an incubator. Like another member said, this is in my opinion too late to hatch with a broody.

To add my 2 cents, I would never heat my coop it is more of a hazard than it's worth. Chickens are built for outdoors. Keep them out of the wind,(I partially wrap my covered run with a tarp) and lock them in a draft free coop with lots of straw at night, and give them a wide perch so they can keep there toes covered at night. If the power goes out for two days are you going to go out and dress them up [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by