1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Condo

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by doubleatraining, Sep 17, 2011.

1. doubleatraining

doubleatraining Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    My plan to have my sweet little bantam broody hens hatch eggs is almost under way! I have the hens and they are getting settled into their new home. I'm giving them plenty to eat so they dont' get too "pulled down" while they brood.

I have 2 3x3 pens with a roof that I'm going to place the broody in when its time. They will have plenty of food and water.

Ideally these hens can go be regular hens with my other layers until the brood strikes them. I have seen covered cat litter bins as nesting boxes and think this will be the IDEAL way to go and an easy way to move them to the Broody Condo.

WHERE do I find them cheap? I have been to wally world and a few other places....call me cheap but I really don't want to pay $20 for a litter box/nesting box.

2. kimntep

kimntep Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Ocala, Florida
    I've never seen them cheaper than at Walmart and at least they'll last forever. Good luck!

3. brendapa

brendapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Chester County, PA
    Yard sales and Craigslist are the best way to pick them up used. Bleach & scrub, dry in the sun and you're good to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by