1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Cortnix

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by whitecra, Feb 4, 2009.

1. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Well a cortnix quail hen go broody? Do I need to leave a few eggs in there and she will or just save them until they do?
    Chris

2. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Most domesticated quail have lost the broody instinct. Some will occasionally show signs of going broody and start to sit but seldom follow through. Your better off using artificial incubation.

3. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    I would leave the eggs let her sit and as a back up keep the bator on and a close eye on her that way if she stops you can quick toss them in the bator. I have two buttons sitting eggs right now and I have a friend button quail heaven that has had them hatch there own eggs if you go to her site you can see hers with its 16 babies! Too cute.

4. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:What is her web site? I would love to see her babies.
    Chris

5. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I dont know of anyone who's gotten coturnix to brood thier own eggs...button quails yes, but coturnix...so far no....[​IMG]

6. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I've been trying to get mine to go broody with no luck. You'd have to keep a cage full of tall grass and overhanging branches to simulate their natural habitat, or else their pea brains don't trigger into nesting instinct.
    -Spooky

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I plan on letting a chicken hen hatch and brood quail chicks this spring/summer. My hopes are that a hen-hatched chick will set their own eggs. But I'm with monarc on this, I haven't heard of anyone that has or has had a broody coturnix!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by