1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody coturnix??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cshma11, Dec 15, 2016.

1. cshma11

cshma11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    One of the females made a little circular nest spot in the shavings and has somehow gathered the 3 eggs laid today, and was sitting there on them when I went to feed them. She ate and went right back to them so I left the eggs. Should I do anything else for her? Leave food or water near the nest? [​IMG]

2. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Lucky you! Disturb her as little as possible and she will look after herself. Good luck - hopefully she'll keep at it.

3. cshma11

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    I've never seen one do this until I put the shavings in! I'm really excited, and hope she keeps on.

4. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    good luck. with the broody hen.

5. abot87

abot87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there.

How lucky you are! Quail very seldom go broody and in most cases they manage to incubate eggs because the eggs are in their preferred hiding spot.

The best way forward would be to ensure that there is ample feed and water close to her nesting area, but not close enough that you'd disturb her while cleaning feeders and replacing water.

The hen will regulate herself, same as if she wasn't broody - but be sure to keep an eye on her just in case she's a rare hen that's willing to starve to incubate her eggs - being broody is basically a hormonal driven trance. If anything she should leave the nest once a day on her own for a few minutes to eat, drink and defecate.

Try not to disturb the hen unless you REALLY have to, and if so, do it at night - this will lower the chances of breaking the broody behavior and the possibility of clutch rejection.

ABOT

6. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Hehe my broody quail would have "broody poos" about once a day - essentially a stockpiled turd as big as a chicken poop I swear it [​IMG]

7. abot87

Hi there.

Broody poops are quite large and their size of it is only exceeded by its smell.

Seems your broody hen is all sorted and should be able to easily complete the incubation of her clutch without any assistance.

Good luck and remember to keep us posted on the results of the clutch.

ABOT

8. cshma11

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    She buried them under shavings and ditched them to eat and join the group after a couple days [​IMG]

9. abot87

Hi there.

Unfortunately this is how it goes with quail.

Try providing a nesting box, chances are that she'll stay on the eggs longer if not out in the open.

ABOT

10. cshma11

Dec 2, 2016
    Illinois
    I will try that! She keeps nesting down over a couple eggs, but then ditches them after a few days, so maybe some privacy will do the trick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by