Broody did the job even in the extreme cold

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducks-R-Us, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Ducks-R-Us

Ducks-R-Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Dakota
    29 days ago I got my first silkie hen to go broody. Of course my call ducks had quit laying but I had some other ducks that were laying a few eggs. So I grabbed two eggs that were just laid out of the pen next to this chicken and put them under her. I really was not expecting them to develop as the first week we were in the deep freeze with temps going down to -15. This broody was sitting on the eggs in an unheated - uninsulated shed. But after week 1, I candled the eggs and they were good. So then I grabbed a couple chicken eggs and placed them under her as well. Week two - the temps moderated and everything was going good. Well after week 3 for the duck eggs and week 2 for the chicken eggs extreme cold set in again down to -33 outside but all was well until one evening I came into the coop and this broody was on the wrong nest - I had a nest of golf balls next to hers and she was on those. I felt the eggs and they were cold, but I picked her up and put her back on the eggs and she just sat right on them. A few days later. I candled the eggs and both duck eggs were fine and so was one chicken egg. One chicken egg did quit during that cooling period. The remaining chicken egg hatched two days early but completely disappeared - I can only assume the other chickens ate it. After that, I moved the broody and two duck eggs into their own pen inside where they hatched a day later!
    Here they are with their mom! One looks to be a magpieXsweedish while the other is a crested buff:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    SO CUTE!!!!! Oh that is just precious!!

3. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    [​IMG]

4. suburbanduckmom

suburbanduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Belmont, CA
    Good job mamma bird [​IMG]

5. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    They are adorable, congrats! So now are you going to have ducklings in the house for the winter? Probably be May before it's warm enough to move them out!

6. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    They are so cute!!!

7. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Adorable! What a good mama! [​IMG]

8. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay momma. [​IMG]

9. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh that is so sweet, [​IMG] to Momma silkie. just got to love those silkies

10. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    That is so sweet! I'm planning on hatching my first call ducks (my first ducks ever!) using one of my silkies. I have a splash silkie that LOVES water and the best Mother so I will use her. Can't wait!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by