1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Dilemma

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MtnMomma86, Mar 20, 2016.

1. MtnMomma86

MtnMomma86 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    Ok.. so I am in a bit of a dilemma. Since we have had our chickens nothing has bothered them in the way of predators until last week something grabbed one of our hens. I saw an opposum in our yard a few days ago. Now I have a broody hen laying in the covered shed that doesn't provide any protection from predators. Since we lost a hen I have been closing them in at night. However she has no protection because anything can walk into the shed. How should I address this and can I move her? I have another coop that locks up where she can be away from the others. Any help would be appreciated! She just starting sitting today.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I would try to move her. If you have another secure coop she can go in that would most likely be the best option.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Move her. Now is a good time. It might break the brood, but she is not safe where she is.

When you move her, do so at night, and pre-make up a nice warm nest for her, place her and the eggs she is setting in a dark quiet corner. Move her calmly and quietly so that the transition is as uneventful as possible with as little light as possible.

If you really want to ensure she stays broody, you can try confining her to that small dark corner (with food and water). Most squawk a bit come morning, but quickly resettle if the corner is dark, quiet, and warm, with nice deep nesting material.

If she is in the mind to brood, she'll probably settle just fine. Some hens remained attached to the original spot, so if that happens, you may have to lock her away from that spot as it is unsafe which will likely break her brood, but it is for her best interest and the chicks she would hatch. Nothing brings predators faster than the cheeping of little peeps.

Good luck.
    LofMc

1 person likes this.
  4. MtnMomma86

Mar 20, 2016
    Thanks so much!! We will see what today brings! She made it last night but I definitely don't want to risk it! She will be moved :)

5. MtnMomma86

Mar 20, 2016
    Well I moved her last night and when I went down this morning to check she was not laying on the egg at all. She was roosting and the eggs was cold. Should I give it back to her? She has no interest in laying on it in there and it's very cold... maybe next time lol

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It seems that maybe she decided to give sitting a miss this time - if only could break my broody so easily! [​IMG] Disappointing about potential chicks, but at least she is safe, which is the most important thing.

CT

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    X2

8. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO

Give it back to her to encourage the ID of "appropriate" location.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  9. MtnMomma86

Mar 20, 2016
    I did give it back to her. I was worried though bc she didn't sit on it the whole night and wasn't sure if that would hurt the development of the egg but I checked today and there is something definitely growing! Will check again in a few days. However, she will not stay away from her original spot so I tried to close it off the best I could. I may try to move her again soon.

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Next round consider a fence around her so predator can not get within 24" inches of nest. This done here especially if near an electrified fence. I routinely have hens nest on ground in open field. I place a pen like shown below over each nest site and lay it down at night. The following morning I prop it up so hen can come and go as she pleases. The pen is not a perfect stop but it makes predators have to work harder and increases odds I or other measures can intervene before harm some to brood or hen.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by