broody dilemma

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jermoatc, Jul 13, 2011.

1. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    Here is my dilemma. I have had a broody Orpington sitiing on some fertilized eggs for 19 days now. Yesterday one of my Barred rock hens decided she would follow suit. As of today she has kicked my orp off her eggs just days before thdy are to hatch and has taken over. I feel really bad for my Orpington girl. She has done alll the work and now it appears she wont get to hatch her own eggs. What should I do? Will my orp be traumatized? Will my Barred rock be confused when her eggs hatch after 2 days? Which hen will take care of the chicks like they are her own? Guidance please.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. jermoatc

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    bump. [​IMG]

3. hoog

hoog Chillin' With My Peeps

Fascinating issue you have there. I don’t know the answer but I subscribed to this thread because I am curious to know how it turns out.

4. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    You have several options.
    1. Give all eggs back to the orp, by kicking the BR off the nest and into a cage to break her or separate area with new eggs.
    2. Divide the eggs between them. The orp on her old nest and the barred rock in a new one. If the barred rock doesn't act motherly, give the chicks to the orp.
    3. Let nature take its course.

Whatever option you choose, the chickens will get over it. You, however, may feel guilty, depending on which option you choose.

Because I lack the room, I currently have 3 broodies incubating in the same pen. Only one will be allowed to mother the chicks. The other two will go back to the flock. I'll feel guilty for a week, but after a few days, the 2 chickless hens will be fine.
    Dale-Ann

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you don't have a separate coop or dog cage or the like, you might as well let them work it out. I've had two share mothering a group of chicks. They might split them up. If you have a separate area, I'd definitely split the eggs up and see who does the better job.

6. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Quote:Ok, why a separate area if you split the clutch and let each sit on some? Wouldn't just separate nest boxes be sufficient?

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Ok, why a separate area if you split the clutch and let each sit on some? Wouldn't just separate nest boxes be sufficient?

Sure, if you're going to let the mamas raise them with the flock. But so many people don't like to do this. Although it's exactly what I do. Being separate is a bit more peaceful for the mama while she is setting, and probably safer for the eggs, though I like the area she is in to be big enough for her to walk around, get some exercise. Once the chicks want out at day 2 or 3, though, I let everyone out into the flock.

Sorry if I was unclear.

8. jermoatc

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    Thanks for all the input. I think When I get home today if the chicks havent started to hatch I will split the clutch between 2 nest boxes. I will let yall know how it turns out.

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Be careful though. The rir may just get up and try to kick the orps off her nest and then you'll end up with half the eggs unhatched. I'd separate the two till after hatching.

10. jermoatc

Feb 5, 2011
    Lake Crystal, MN
    maybe Ill just leave her be. My barred rock is sitting tight. I just feel so bad for my orp. She is such a sweetie. She never pecked at me or anything unlike this BR who tries to everytime I get close. I hate that she got bullied off her nest. im so torn. It just doesnt seem right.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by