Broody Drake???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pati527, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Pati527

Pati527 New Egg

Apr 23, 2015
    We have a duck which we were told was a drake. Lately he has been hiding in the weeds all day and would stay all night but we lure him out with his favorite treat and put him in the coop each night. Not an easy task! Necessary because of the predators here. Can anyone tell me if this runner duck is actually a drake? We have all ready lost one mallard female to predators when she exhibited the same behavior. They are extremely difficult to find in the brush and weeds! Please help[​IMG]

2. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    That looks like a female to me. Male fawn/white runners have darker brown heads. This duck's head is the same cream color her body is. She also doesn't have the curly drake feather that a male would have, although it takes a while to develop and can be shed during a molt. The best way to tell would be through voice sexing. Does it quack/honk like a girl or rasp/frog croak like a boy?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  3. Pati527

Pati527 New Egg

Apr 23, 2015
    Very quiet duck, so no voice comparision. Bruce is usually just happy to follow you around the farm begging treats. Can you 'break' a broody duck? We only have 3 and he/she was supposed to be the only male so no fertile eggs. But then again I could be wrong. VERY new to ducks. Maybe a separate coop and keep her inside until she gives up. Love this duck and don't want to lose it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by