Broody d'uccle laid an egg

AussieJen

Songster
Nov 22, 2018
Canberra, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, My 26 week old mottled d'Uccle has gone broody (on nest 24 hours, making trilling noise when anyone disturbs her, fluffed up, pecks me, and when I put her on the ground she stays fluffed up). I put her in cage to break her around 4pm Monday, intending to take her out after 48 hours (was told that usually does the trick). This morning (Wednesday) she had an egg with her in the cage! I presumed this was a sign she's no longer broody and as very distressed in cage was glad to release her. Unfortunately when I got home from work around 4pm today there she was, back on the nest, puffed up and trilling! So back in the cage for full 48 hours this time. So frustrating!

Is it normal for a broody to lay? She'd been showing signs of broodiness since Saturday and she laid the egg late Monday or early Tuesday.

Her sister started laying at 18-20 weeks (which I think's fairly early for a d'Uccle), then went broody 2 weeks later. She's now been broody twice. I knew bantams were notorious for broodiness, but this seems a bit OTT!

Thanks for the replies everyone - that's really useful info.

@chickens really you said 48 hours not long enough. How do I know how long is long enough? She spends the whole time in the cage distressed, crying and pacing up and down and I don't want to leave her in there a moment longer than I have to. It feels so cruel!

Thanks for the replies everyone - that's really useful info.

@chickens really you said 48 hours not long enough. How do I know how long is long enough? She spends the whole time in the cage distressed, crying and pacing up and down and I don't want to leave her in there a moment longer than I have to. It feels so cruel!
You definitely should watch her to see if she returns to a nest box after being set free. If she still wants to Brood she will need more time.

Back
Top Bottom