1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Duck Acting Weird

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by EmilyP, Nov 10, 2016.

1. EmilyP

EmilyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    My husband let our ducks out this afternoon and he noticed our broody girl was acting weird. She has been sitting for 3 1/2 weeks now coming out to eat and drink normally. Tonight she went down to the pond and was sitting by herself and didn't come back up with the other ducks when it got dark, he had to go pick her up and carry her back to the pen. She normally leads the rest of the ducks back up to the pen and doesn't allow you to pick her up. He put her in the pool in their pen for a little bit but took her out just in case she couldn't get herself out since he was leaving. When he last checked on her she was standing on top of her nest looking like she was trying to poop or lay an egg?? He said she seemed really weak and was kind of tucking her tail under. He felt her belly as best he could and didn't feel any hardness.

Any thoughts or ideas what might be going on with her??? I hope shes okay! Shes sitting on 18 eggs now (kicked 3 eggs out today).

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @EmilyP if she has been sitting for 3.5 weeks I doubt she is going to lay an egg. Are you very sure she has been eating real good. Brooding is hard on them because they don't eat well most of the time everything is done supper fast. Check on her a few times before bed to make sure she is sitting on her nest. Is this her first time? what breed?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  3. EmilyP

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    @Miss Lydia She is a welsh harlequin. It is her first time sitting. She's about 7 months old. I cannot be sure she is eating well. I see her eat some times.m but when she does she chows down. She ate mealworms from my husband tonight. She was standing on her nest when he left the house. Will check on her again when we get home tonight.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Is she also drinking well? Do you notice her pooping okay? You may want to try and bring food to her at other times in case she doesn't eat enough on her own. I am guessing she is very close to hatching. Maybe she feels the eggs moving under her and that causes her to stand. She is young and doesn't know what comes next. Sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]

5. EmilyP

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    She appears to be drinking well. Idk about pooping... just checked on her, she is laying on her nest bill tucked under her wing. Hopefully she was just having a moment and will be just fine. Tomorrow I'll try to get her a bowl of food by her nest and see how she's doing again.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would put her into a tub of lukewarm water for at least half an hour an watch her - ducks do not always do things by the book . . . she may be trying to pass an egg after all.

I would give her 100 to 200 mg of calcium daily for three or four days. I use calcium citrate dissolved tablets in treats. I would add a quarter teaspoon of turmeric per cup of food for her (it stains, but it is an anti inflammatory).

I would get a fecal sample to the vet to check for parasites or other concerns.

Does she feel skinny to you? Weigh her, if you can easily feel her keel bone, she may be too underweight.

Give her treats any chance you get. In this case I would give thawed frozen sweet corn, peas, dry cat kibble . . . get her to eat.

7. EmilyP

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    Checked on her again this morning. She is still sitting on her nest so I'm not going to mess with her. I did put a cup of food, mealworms, oystershells and brewers yeast in the house by her. And I mashed up a few hard boiled eggs and put them in the house as well, my other broody immediately tried it but she turned her head [​IMG]. When I get home this afternoon and let them out hopefully she will come out and I can get a better look at her and see how she's acting.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd say hatch is close and being first time just like drumbstick diva says she isn't sure what is going on she may feel eggs moving hear peeping if any of the eggs have externally pipped so I'd just keep an eye on her. Putting food and water close by is important because sometimes a duckling will hatch a day or 2 before the rest and it will need nourishment after 24 hrs. at least water so make sure you put some kind of bowl the ducklings can drink out of but not climb into AND drown . Chick starter or all flock crumble for mama and babies but no layer the starter will help mom get back in shape quicker too. Hopefully you will find her doing good. Ducklings soon too!!

Keep us updated. @EmilyP
    pic of homemade waterer you can put cut outs on both sides for more than a couple ducklings and put moms waterer up on something to keep the ducklings out of it. I put small river rocks in the bottom to keep it from getting tipped over but marbles would work too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  9. EmilyP

Apr 18, 2016
    Elberton, Georgia
    [​IMG] I hope we have babies soon!!!! I'm just a little concerned about our setup, husband is expanding the pen this weekend to make room for our new guests! My issue is that our two broodies (one might be just shadowing the other, shes not as committed) are in a dog house and i'm worried the food and water will get knocked over in there or the babies will fall out... I'm going to put a kiddie pool outside the dog house so the ramp will go right into it and they will be contained. Other issue is our pekin drake likes to sleep between the girls!

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I wouldn't let the drake be with mamas and ducklings at least not till the ducklings are strong and big enough to stay out of his way. Some drakes are okay with ducklings some will injure or kill them I never take the chance and keep my moms and babies separated where everyone can see each other but can't get to them for 2-3 weeks. If the dog house sits up off the ground that is a problem because ducklings do wander and if mama is still sitting and hatching she isn't going to be real attentive Ducklings have been known to fall out and not get back to mama. It's important the ducklings can stay warm. Sorry to add more stress but things that need to be thought about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by