Broody duck advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Fisherlmiranda, Apr 11, 2019.

1. Fisherlmiranda

Fisherlmiranda Songster

Feb 25, 2018
    Morrow, Ohio
    Hello, my welsh harlequin duck started sitting on the eggs so I let her gather a clutch and go broody. Shes sat on the eggs all day long for 2 days. But I noticed that the other ducks are pushing her out at night and laying in the nest. And last night they busted one of the eggs. This morning I grabbed the busted egg and surrounding bedding and tossed it. Some eggs have dried yolk on them. Will they be ok to leave in there? I put an x on the first 15 eggs. So I knew this morning that 3 had been laid in there and which ones they were. Should I close in the area around the nesting box so she is left alone? Any advice is welcome as this is my first time letting a duck set a nest. 20190410_152122.jpg

quackiemama likes this.
  2. Happy Quack

Happy Quack Songster

May 29, 2016
    Gunnison Colorado
    You can try putting up a fence or something to stop the others from pushing her out. Just make it big enough that you can put water and feed in for her.

3. quackiemama

quackiemama Crowing

Dec 26, 2018
    MARYLAND
    She is beautiful

Texag87 likes this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

If you can put something around her it helps. Are the others depositing eggs in her nest too?

5. Fisherlmiranda

Fisherlmiranda Songster

Feb 25, 2018
    Morrow, Ohio
    Thanks

quackiemama likes this.
  6. Fisherlmiranda

Fisherlmiranda Songster

Feb 25, 2018
    Morrow, Ohio
    Yes, shes got everyone's eggs. I've got cayugas and black swedish and buff's as well and they all have intermingled and made a bunch of mutts hopefully lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: