Broody duck and the heat

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by heatherindeskies, Jun 28, 2011.

1. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    I free range..... got a broody call hen that has disappeared into a patch of berries and nettles... we have a heat wave coming up soon. Will she be OK?
    she has access to feed, water and a pool if she feels like walking that far to it.
    I feel bad at the thought of her setting in the sweltering heat.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    There is nothing you can do about it, except for keeping cool water where she can access it.

She chose that spot because it is both protected and shaded.

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I can imagine how you feel, but she will be ok. She knows when to come off the nest if it's too hot...and the good thing is if she comes off the eggs will still stay warm so when she does go back on which will probably be in the evening they will be fine....I can say this because my chickens abandoned their nest for a whole day and they eggs were fine and they went back on and hatched out about 90%

4. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    I'm glad someone asked this question. Our Pekin went broody in their Dogloo, and it's sweltering hot outside, and humid as heck. Just being ner that igloo makes me sweat. lol Good to know she'll be ok, and so will the eggs, because she's been leaving them a lot more often in the afternoons.

5. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    I feel better now....I watched her come over to the barn. She ate, drank and had a leisure swim in the pool, took her time. Tomorrow will be the hot day, I will fill the water bowls in the morning and put a gallon jug of ice in the pond to help it stay cool and turn the barn fans on.
    You guys are right, she will do what she needs to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by