Broody duck breeds? Muscovy, Khaki, Cayuga?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kadjain, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I want to get a duck that will hopefully go broody. I was reading past post and these are the broodiest breeds it seem: Muscovy, Khaki, Cayuga.
    I have 2 Khaki's and a Hybrid 300 for laying hens and a Runner drake. Should I look for a broodier breed or just wait and hope one of mine goes broody?
    Also what is proper term to call a female duck? Is it hen or duck or?

Thanks
    Kadjain

[​IMG]
    (That's not their only pond, there is a kiddie pool on the other side of their yard)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Khakis [​IMG]

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Khakis seem to be good broodies, but awful mothers and end up killing their babies.

I hear cayugas arent bad.

Muscovies are like living incubators, and will sit on snake eggs [​IMG] (just kidding)

Also look into welsh harlequins [​IMG] I have three female welsh harlequins, and one drake, and they are suppost to be wonderful broodies. Hopeing mine go broody in spring [​IMG]

Also if you want WONDERFUL broody hens look into bantam silkie chickens [​IMG]

4. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks.
    How do Khaki's end up killing their young? Like maliscously or by just not caring about raising them?

I have a Silky/B. Brahma cross who is sitting on 13 eggs right now. I just found her under a small hens house about a week ago. Sneeky little girl.
    Do you have any pics of your Welsh Harlequins?

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:They dont want the babies, they just want to sit on eggs. And then throw the babies out...

I did, dont know if I deleted the pics though. Let me check [​IMG] if they arent there I will take some new ones tomarrow [​IMG]

6. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Heres a breeder quality (maybe show [​IMG]) hen from metzer farms.
    [​IMG]

Heres the drake and a few hens.
    [​IMG]

7. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Everything about the hen at the top makes me think show quality. But not sure cause of the stripe under her eye [​IMG] beautiful never the less.

8. Wulfandwyn

Wulfandwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Quote:Regardless if she is breeder quality or show quality she is beautiful. [​IMG] I want welshies for my next type if I ever get rid of my muscovys.

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    My buff ducks that I had gotten from TSC ( I think they got them from Welp hatchery) were setting machines, but unfortuately they got killed. Muscovies are also reknown for broodies and being good protective mothers.

10. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Muscovy's are great broodies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by