broody duck, broken eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tiffanya, Jun 9, 2011.

1. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Recently my Cayuga, Lucy started sitting on four eggs. Our ducks are in the same run and coop with our chickens. Her nest is under a laundry basket inside the coop. I check each day to make sure no chicken eggs have been added. Our drake, Will does a decent job of defending her nest but I know that some of our hens will lay on it when she gets up. Today when I got home the laundry basket had been moved a bit, one eggs had been moved and it appeared the other two had broken. I cleaned up the nest, put the remaining two eggs back and Lucy came back to sit. I don't know if she accidentally broke the eggs or something else happened. This is my first time with a broody duck. Any recommendations? Leave her ne and see what happens or try to move her?

2. DaftaboutDucks

DaftaboutDucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Ontario
    Hi tiffanya, We had our broody rouen in with our chickens last year. The first 18 eggs, 1 successful hatch. The chickens got all the other either eggs or later the ducklings while hatching. They would push Jilisa off her eggs and eat the ducklings. [​IMG] We had a camera set up in the coop cause we didn't know where the eggs were going. The second 11 eggs ...the same thing happened we moved her to a dog house....she stopped laying on them. [​IMG] This year, the first bunch we took the eggs to incubate them. The second bunch 5 in the bator & 9 under her in the dog house. No eggs missing now & they are going to hatch soon ....sometime around the 12th. Soooooo my vote is to possible try to move your duck at night & see if that helps.( We moved our Jilisa during the hatching probably the worst time to move her)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  3. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I've thought about keeping her where she is until they hatch, then moving, but am not sure. Broody fever has struck at our house so I have lots of options and things to think about. Never had a broody chicken or duck until a couple weeks ago; now have one duck and two hens that are broody. Guess I have some timing to figure out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by