BROODY DUCK DEBATE--to take her eggs, or not to take her eggs?

tastybabies

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 24, 2012
Raleigh, NC
So, my lady ducks are determined to have ducklings this year. Our one muscovy hen hatched out her clutch in the coop and now only visits for food and then leaves back to the swamp all day and night. She's the only one that comes back, her ducklings stay down there with this canadian goose that's fallen for her and her brood. My ducks' usual routine is out of the coop in the morning, eat, stretch, then straight to the swamp. They then head back home before dark to get penned up in their coop.

I dont want my other two broody ducks to do me like my muscovy hen did and raise ducklings at the swamp. But! I'm also worried if I take their eggs away they're going to get sassy and start their nests at the swamp and become sitting ducks for predators.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just tough luck them and keep them all locked in the coop when their ducklings hatch?

Personally, yes I would keep them locked up...But only if I could provide at least a small outdoor area with a water dish and a bit of dirt to dabble in. When I got my little calls the ducklings were only days old, I swore I was keeping them inside as I didnt want to risk them getting taken by anything, but that only lasted 4 days, next thing you know Im scrounging around my property for extra mesh and star pickets to build them a 'day pen' complete with chaff bags on the roof to keep crows out!

My ducks have a pen built around their coop, just a rough one (A few star pickets and wire) that I can lock them in if needed. Generally they free range over our property but I find the pen very useful on that occasion I want to keep them close to home.

Wonderful. I'm leaning towards penning them when their babes hatch. Im going to have to keep a tight eye on one since our brown duck has been laying her eggs every day under one of my broody cayugas....and they're growing. When she hops off, I need to sort through the partially developed ones. she's such a tiny duck with a big heart for eggs. Also might rig up a chickenwire pen around a kiddie pool that i can move around the yard for mama and the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom