Broody duck help

Emmaxx

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
UK
I have two broody ducks at the moment, both sitting at opposite corners of their house for weeks
Just now I heard lots of quacking and went out to find both ducks sitting on the same nest!!

I candled all the eggs a couple of hours ago and some looked close to internal pipping. It looks like Bluey, the one that is on the wrong nest, has been back to her own nest but do you think this is because I fiddled about with them?
Or do you think one of the eggs, either her own or Crispin's has pipped and she can hear peeping and she freaked out over it?

Her eggs are cool to touch but not cold. How long should I leave it to see if it resolves, or should I encourage her back on her own nest? And how?

Can you put up some kind of divider so she is on her side of the coop and can't get to the other. I betcha that is what happened Hopefully if you can separate them she will go back to her clutch.
Freaking out over a pip you mean, or my fiddling?

How do I get her off the other nest without getting bitten?

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia I have managed to get both girls separated and where they are supposed to be now! Phew! Thanks for your help.
The quickest and easiest thing I could think up was to use what I think you call ex-pen panels in the US?
They will keep the girls in place (so long as we don't have a collapse as there's noting to really fix them in place) but the gaps wouldn't stop a duckling! Will I need to come up with a better solution before they hatch or will they stay close enough to their mums that I won't need to worry about that just yet?

Last edited:
Better come up with another plan because during hatching moms really don't do much but sit and ducklings can wander. Any way you can use scrap boards and attach the boards some how to the coop inside then attach the panel to the boards.

Better come up with another plan because during hatching moms really don't do much but sit and ducklings can wander. Any way you can use scrap boards and attach the boards some how to the coop inside then attach the panel to the boards.
Ah okay, silly ducklings :lol: I will see if I can find something so cover the lower parts of the panels with....
Thanks again x

How long will I need to keep them like this? Will they wait for their own eggs to hatch or could the sight/sound of the other ones duckling stop them from sitting?

They should just keep on sitting till hatch is finished, mine do I have a broody house [was first chicken coop]that I separate into 2 rooms if I get 2 broodies at one time and so far mine have stayed the course to the end. Of course every bird is different but I'd think as long as your girls are hatching they should be fine.

Thank you! I'm sorry I'm so nervous, this is my first experience with broody ducks and feel out of my depth again, especially as the timing/circumstances aren't the best.

Back
Top Bottom