Broody Duck Hen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckWhisperer06, May 20, 2019.

1. DuckWhisperer06

DuckWhisperer06 Songster

Mar 17, 2019
    South of DFW
    I’m 95% sure our Pekin is broody, she’s been on her ‘nest’ for a few days now and she gets very defensive when I try to collect the eggs.

EC4116D3-2828-4A87-882C-06AB52D15DEB.jpeg
    She doesn’t have any eggs and she’s still sitting on the nest.

Can I block off the door and put food and water in the ‘house’? She still comes out every now and then to eat and drink, then she goes back to sitting.

I’ve seen other threads for chickens where they are put in dog crates, but I thought that was for breaking broody hens?

quackiemama and Miss Lydia like this.
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Once they go full blown broody they will sit even if there are no eggs. I'd try and break her by removing the box she is in and blocking her from going in. If she isn't going to hatch why have her sit 28 days on nothing? Then again she may not quit My Muscovy's won't but worth a try so she doesn't get run down. Or get her some fertile eggs. she is sure a pretty thing sitting there smiling. Or is that the stink eye? lol

3. DuckWhisperer06

DuckWhisperer06 Songster

Mar 17, 2019
    South of DFW
    I was thinking of letting her hatch a few more for our neighbor, he only wants females and one male, so we would keep the other males. We have 7 in the incubator (day 10) and with the 50/50 chance of them being male or female, I wouldn’t mind letting her hatch a few.

We’re going to be out of town(overnight) in a week or so. Do you think I could give her the ones in the incubator (I hand turn them so we would have to get an automatic turner)? Or should I just give her fresh ones in case she gives up I don’t run the risk of losing the ones in the incubator?

quackiemama and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Hard call but if she is still sitting by the time you leave maybe try with a few and see what happens. But I think I'd give her something to sit on. Just to seal the deal. Or just give them all to her before you leave if she is sitting tight on fake ones. You can buy fake eggs at most craft store. and online. Or just give her fresh and change out every few days so they don't begin to develop .

quackiemama and DuckWhisperer06 like this.
  5. DuckWhisperer06

DuckWhisperer06 Songster

Mar 17, 2019
    South of DFW
    So you’re saying I should give her new eggs every few days or give her fake eggs just to make sure she’s broody?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  6. Miss Lydia

I am saying that may keep her going. Until you decide to give her the ones from the bator. That way you'll have assurance she is going to stay the course. If you give her fake and or real and she gets up and quits before you leave then you'll not have wasted your eggs in the bator. Also make sure she is in a secure place while brooding that no one can go in a harass her.

7. DuckWhisperer06

DuckWhisperer06 Songster

Mar 17, 2019
    South of DFW
    I let them out to free range and she decided to sit on her eggs rather than steal the chicken’s food like the rest of the ducks. :lau

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. DuckWhisperer06

DuckWhisperer06 Songster

Mar 17, 2019
    South of DFW
    How often can she come off the nest for it to be considered normal?

9. DuckWhisperer06

DuckWhisperer06 Songster

Mar 17, 2019
    South of DFW
    I think she’s done. :barnie

I went out this morning and she was off the nest, and the eggs were cold. :(

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Well at least you now know. Lol I went out this morning to let everyone out and I have a Muscovy sitting up on the poop board squeaking like crazy saying she is broody and not one egg under her. But we have ducklings and chicks running around so she has caught the broody bug 2nd hand :hmm

DuckyDonna and DuckWhisperer06 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: