Broody duck - move nest or add onto it????

wheresbigfoot

Songster
Aug 11, 2016
Ariel Washington
Ace has decided to go broody and make a nest under the chicken coop.. even though she's got a nest box already so .. I know moving the nest can cause stress but there's no protection either. She's got a roof and fence on one side but that wont stop the rest from going under ?!

Should I make a wall of some sort ? Add something else protection wise?

Or just leave her be.. the nest is just a hole she dug in the dirt with some feathers and foil? No clue where she got that but they're free range.. foil can't be a good nest material :lol:

How do I do this without freaking her out?
Oh and she's got a nice size clutch happening already, I have a feeling she's got too many .. this should be fun

She's using my camping dishes for now.. when I move or add to it I'll get her something else
20190317_172901.jpg

Ace has decided to go broody and make a nest under the chicken coop.. even though she's got a nest box already so .. I know moving the nest can cause stress but there's no protection either. She's got a roof and fence on one side but that wont stop the rest from going under ?!

Should I make a wall of some sort ? Add something else protection wise?

Or just leave her be.. the nest is just a hole she dug in the dirt with some feathers and foil? No clue where she got that but they're free range.. foil can't be a good nest material :lol:

How do I do this without freaking her out?
Oh and she's got a nice size clutch happening already, I have a feeling she's got too many .. this should be fun

She's using my camping dishes for now.. when I move or add to it I'll get her something else
View attachment 1705374
Toss some straw to her. If she wants she will use it to line her nest..

Maybe build some kind of fencing under there to protect her and keep them others out. Once hatch day gets close mine rarely put up a fight when I move them to the little coop I use for hatching, But by then hatch is started so they aren't about to leave those eggs.

Maybe build some kind of fencing under there to protect her and keep them others out. Once hatch day gets close mine rarely put up a fight when I move them to the little coop I use for hatching, But by then hatch is started so they aren't about to leave those eggs.

Oh I never thought of a hatch area. .. that's a good thought . I have found some old temporary fencing stuff that I can cut down to size and make it work, I want her to be protected from everyone else (hens,ducks,dogs,kids,random animals that show up)

I put food and water in there in bowls, changed food to a plate with a tiny lip but need to get a smaller bowl . I'm concerned that she can't stand to drink out of it there's just not enough room.

I've finally seen her out foraging this am so I'll justleave her be after I put up walls

Make a way to open what ever you put up like a gate of sorts that way when she wants out usually only one time a day you can let her out that way she can poop away from the nest it will take more work on your part to let her out but she’ll have a way out and still be safe.

Back
Top Bottom