Broody duck - move nest or add onto it????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wheresbigfoot, Mar 17, 2019.

1. wheresbigfoot

wheresbigfoot Songster

Aug 11, 2016
    Ariel Washington
    Ace has decided to go broody and make a nest under the chicken coop.. even though she's got a nest box already so .. I know moving the nest can cause stress but there's no protection either. She's got a roof and fence on one side but that wont stop the rest from going under ?!

Should I make a wall of some sort ? Add something else protection wise?

Or just leave her be.. the nest is just a hole she dug in the dirt with some feathers and foil? No clue where she got that but they're free range.. foil can't be a good nest material :lol:

How do I do this without freaking her out?
    Oh and she's got a nice size clutch happening already, I have a feeling she's got too many .. this should be fun

She's using my camping dishes for now.. when I move or add to it I'll get her something else
    20190317_172901.jpg

DuckyDonna and chickens really like this.
  2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Toss some straw to her. If she wants she will use it to line her nest..

FluffTheDuck, wheresbigfoot and Jpat like this.
  3. chickens really

You can always move her once they begin to hatch. Just put up a safe barrier before they hatch so others can't kill them.

FluffTheDuck and wheresbigfoot like this.
  4. wheresbigfoot

wheresbigfoot Songster

Aug 11, 2016
    Ariel Washington

Sweet I'll do that. Thanks!

chickens really likes this.
  5. wheresbigfoot

wheresbigfoot Songster

Aug 11, 2016
    Ariel Washington
    I've been looking around to see what I got. I really don't want to stress her out and move but definitely need something to block the others

chickens really and DuckyDonna like this.
  6. chickens really

I've never had success moving a Duck Hen. Hopefully you find something to use as a temporary fence. :frow

wheresbigfoot likes this.
  7. wheresbigfoot

wheresbigfoot Songster

Aug 11, 2016
    Ariel Washington
    I'll do anything to not move her nest :lau

I've got some idea's..even if it's not awesome I don't care as long as she's not a basket case cause she got moved haha

Miss Lydia and chickens really like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "Be Strong in the Lord"

Maybe build some kind of fencing under there to protect her and keep them others out. Once hatch day gets close mine rarely put up a fight when I move them to the little coop I use for hatching, But by then hatch is started so they aren't about to leave those eggs.

9. wheresbigfoot

wheresbigfoot Songster

Aug 11, 2016
    Ariel Washington
    Oh I never thought of a hatch area. .. that's a good thought . I have found some old temporary fencing stuff that I can cut down to size and make it work, I want her to be protected from everyone else (hens,ducks,dogs,kids,random animals that show up)

I put food and water in there in bowls, changed food to a plate with a tiny lip but need to get a smaller bowl . I'm concerned that she can't stand to drink out of it there's just not enough room.

I've finally seen her out foraging this am so I'll justleave her be after I put up walls

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "Be Strong in the Lord"

Make a way to open what ever you put up like a gate of sorts that way when she wants out usually only one time a day you can let her out that way she can poop away from the nest it will take more work on your part to let her out but she’ll have a way out and still be safe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: