1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody duck on chicken eggs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by quibs, Jun 23, 2011.

1. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have a pekin duck that recently fought one of my broody hens off of her nest and began to incubate the eggs. Shes been on there for about a week now. Has anyone ever had this happen before? Will the duck be an alright mother to the chicks or should I take the eggs and put them in the incubator? I've never had a duck go broody for me before, I've always gathered eggs and incubated them since the ducks just seem to lay where ever they are standing when the egg comes haha

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    Could someone please move this to the "Raising Baby Chicks" section. I posted it in incubating by mistake

3. quibs

quibs Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    New Jersey
    I candled the eggs while the duck was out eating today. They all look to be developing. Does anyone know if the duck will be a good mother? Should I take the chicks when they hatch?

4. Mtn Margie

Mtn Margie Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2010
    CO Rockies - 8600ft up
    If she is a good duck mommy, she will try and bring them to water... chicks don't do water, so I would keep her away from any water besides the drinking. Also, ducks mess their water up, so maybe more changing or a separate chick style waterer that mom can't get to. Beyond that, maybe someone with direct experience can chime in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by