1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody duck question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tmorgan46, Mar 29, 2016.

1. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    We haven't reached our one year mark of having ducks and geese, so if this has been bantered about before, point me in the right direction and I'll go check it out. We have a few Muscovies who are getting broody and my question specifically is - two of them are sitting on the same clutch of eggs. I'm not sure how many are under them but I do know there are 3 or 4 goose eggs in there as well. Is this normal? Can I expect a hatching cage match to occur at some point??? ;-) I'll see if I can get a picture later this afternoon or this weekend. They look perfectly contented and show no intention of moving when Momma Goose shows up for the night.
    Thanks in advance,

Troy & Tina

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My experience with ducks and shared nests is that 'co-nesting' generally results in lowered % hatches as the hens steal eggs from one another and inadvertently crack them. The goose eggs would have to go as they will hatch after 4 weeks and the ducks will most likely leave the nests with the goslings.

3. tmorgan46

tmorgan46 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Stafford, VA
    Thank you very much for your response. Helps immensely!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by