Broody duck sitting on eggs in 105 degree temps....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rachel, May 8, 2009.

1. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    My muscovy is sitting on muscovy and chicken eggs, both due to hatch in 2 weeks and 3 days. The temps here in Phoenix are getting hot, the high is around 105. In the afternoons she mostly just hovers over the nest, do you think the embryos will overheat, or do you think she'll be able to keep the temperature regulated? Her nest is in a box in the coop.... Anyone have experience with this situation?

2. Webfoot

Webfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Central TX
    She'll keep them at the right temperature. I have one duck that goes broody every June (we're in central TX) and I am amazed at how she handles the heat. She hatches nearly all of them and is a great mother.

Webfoot

3. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks webfoot, it's so incredible how they do that. I'm amazed at how well they handle the heat with an inch of feathers (I know they come from hotter climates, but it's still surprising), all of my other birds are panting, but the muscovies just chill out like it's 75 degrees. I put a bowl of water right outside her nest so she can drink without having to get off, just in case. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by