Broody duck won't come home

ElleMc

Songster
Apr 17, 2017
Southaven, MS
Hey all. So, for those of you who know my plight, I was going to take my duck to a lovely farm after her sister died, but my husband surprised me and brought home a duck. Well, it's a male mallard and they are getting along very well.

So, my female went broody the other day and she won't come home. We have a 5 acre pond that she and Beau (that's the boy Mallard) swim on, and then they come home at night. She hasn't been laying eggs in the pen, so I figured she was laying somewhere on the pond. I watched her for signs of being egg bound but didn't look too hard for the eggs.

Well, the other day she didn't come home. Or rather, she came home, ate, and left and wouldn't come in for the night. The pond is fenced so I wasn't too worried so I figured I'd get her later.

Well, three days now - she comes into the yard and then runs back out. So I watched where she was going. I found out she's gone broody and is sitting on a nest. I'm not super worried about predators in the summer, but I *really* don't want ducklings. I live in a subdivision in an incorporated suburb (it's not the country even though we have huge yards) and just don't think having an entire flock is a good idea.

It's only been a few days, I "candled" them and there's nothing. What will happen if I take her eggs from her? Will it scar her for life? Will it be like a miscarriage for her? I'm a bit torn and don't know what the best action is for her at this point.

Thanks

It won't hurt her to take her eggs away. If you don't want ducklings- take the eggs and destroy the nest. Do it any time she builds a nest. She will soon forget.

Try to think of it as birth control I have to take eggs up daily here I have muscovies and they will sit on nothing I have 2 right now doing it. My chickens will go in and lay their egg next to the duck then later I have to go in get pinched real bad as I lift up my duck to take all eggs out from under her. Believe me she'll get over it.

Thank you Miss Lydia. You have been a God send in my whole duck fiasco. She didn't come home again tonight, but she didn't sit on the nest all day after I took her eggs. She was out sunning and swimming which makes me feel a little better. I think she's snubbing me because I took her eggs. As long as she comes in this winter, I'll be okay.

She's doing well. She is hanging at the pond, doesn't seem upset anymore about her eggs being gone. She comes back in the yard several times a day. Thank you for asking :)

Back
Top Bottom