broody duck won't give up

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jbugw, Jun 11, 2016.

1. jbugw

jbugw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    Michigan
    This is her first year and she won't give up on her nest- its been probably 6 weeks. Our other duck gave up and is out and about but this one just won't give up. She flips out if I shut the gate and she can't get to the nest. They aren't going to hatch. I think they were just too old or maybe got frozen but its just not going to happen. I don't know what to do for her. I am scared to take the eggs since we had 2 geese die of shock/grief after their nest was destroyed (raccoon, we did not take their eggs). The way she acts when we try to keep her from them makes me think she will not recover well. Everywhere here is done selling ducklings for the year. Mail hatchery will charge $30ish dollars to send a $5 duckling (while I love my ducks they are not pets so $35+ dollars to keep her happy just isn't going to happen, but I am tempted, very tempted). There is a semi local that does mail that will have some available in 9 days but I can't call them until Monday to see if they will let me come pick one up rather than mail. We're kind of planning on just letting her keep sitting and trying to pick up a couple of day olds from the semi local place in a week. Any other suggestions? We were also thinking of cleaning the nest when she goes out for morning water and replacing with chicken eggs and see what happens. Figured even if she didn't accept the chicks that maybe she would feel her job was done. We have the potential as well to replace with chicken eggs and then add eggs from our other duck once we can determine we're getting new eggs. Until 2 weeks ago we could have gotten some potentially fertilized ducks eggs but we didn't realize she just wasn't going to give up. We have some 2 weekish old ducklings we hatched after a raccoon (stupid raccoons- they come out during the day because everything is locked up at night) got their mama we're gonna try and put her in with them but I think they are just too old. Any ideas that we haven't thought of yet? She is coming out to eat and drink so physically I don't think she is suffering but the eggs are starting to smell and I can't tell if any new ones are being laid. And we're worried about something getting her when we try to lock her out- instead of staying with the others she runs frantically up and down the fence making that broody duck noise and ends up wondering around alone, not good in the country with all the potential predators we have.

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I recommend taking away all her eggs, along with the nest. Let her back in after you have done that so she can see that it is all gone. She will likely hang around and be a little upset for awhile, but she should get over it and on with her life by the next day. Those eggs can and will explode eventually, which is no fun at all to clean up or have to smell. ;)

I have done this with many ducks and geese and all of them have gotten over it and moved on within a day. What happened with your geese was most likely shock from the raccoon attack, and not from them losing their eggs and nest.

3. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    Have you tried looking on Craigslist for ducklings? We hatch all the way through September, although by then we are usually glad to take a break. We have a bunch of ducks on nests so no doubt there are hatchlings in your area that you could slip under her. By the time you have ducklings shipped they may be too old to accept a mother hen, especially when they were hatched in an incubator. You would be better to find ducklings hatched by a hen if you can't find hatchlings because they will more easily accept a foster mother.

4. jbugw

jbugw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    Michigan
    I did. Going to pick up a couple today that hatched yesterday afternoon. Hopefully it will go well, if not well then we have 3 more ducks and I will have to take her eggs and hope she gets over it. We're going on 2 months now (I think). My other one gave up 2 weeks ago and rejoined the rest.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

x2

6. jbugw

jbugw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    Michigan
    I went to pick up day old ducks from a local guy. When I got there he had some that had hatched the same morning so I picked up 4 (and 6 quail- what can I say, I have a problem). She accepted them and is seems to be doing well as a mama. And they are taking to her today. They really didn't listen yesterday when she tried to talk but today they are coming when she calls. Everybody is getting along well and my duck house is clean.

7. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Good to hear! And we totally understand the problem.. I think we all suffer.

I had quail once years ago. Named them all Dan. Thinking I might have to try again now that I'm settled in my own home. What kind did you get?

8. jbugw

jbugw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2014
    Michigan
    We got bobtail white quail. I managed to make it out of there without adding pheasant to the package as well. They were so pretty. I do have to say though, the plan was only to get 3 ducks and the ones he hatched that day had a khaki campbell mom so that worked out but the 4th one was this little bitty call duck just sitting there saying "please take me home". I have never had call ducks so... I ended up with 4 instead of 3. I'm a sucker. My daughter takes after me too, went to the pet store yesterday and she wanted to bring home a ferret and the whole tank of feeder mice because they are so tiny and cute. This comes after her trying to talk us into a gerbil or hamster. She even looked at a snake but she wouldn't feed it the mice, she wants the mice as pets. We are in for an adventure with this kid. Guess its a good thing we have space and don't mind living in a zoo. I have a feeling she will be bringing home more than her fair share of strays.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by