Broody duck

Dori47

Chirping
Jun 1, 2017
we got 2 ducks and a drake last year, one of the ducks is broody, and we let her hatch out a brood. We kept a couple, so now have 3 ducks and 2 drakes . They are Australian spotted, but we also have an Indian runner duck. We are right in the city. The Indian runner lays an egg a day, but I rarely get an egg from the others. When I do it is very fresh, still warm, and this is around 8:30 in the morning when I let them out of their house.
They free range in our yard, and often I can’t find the broody duck. Last night when I was putting them in the house for the night, I found out why. She has a nest of 9 eggs behind some debris in the yard.
So couple of questions. I don’t dare leave her out all night with them , so do I put them in the house with her, do I incubate them myself. If I put them in the house, do I make a nest box since she wants to be secluded? If I put her in the house with them, assuming I get more eggs from the Aussies, should I just let her keep them too? How do I get them to lay earlier in the day so they have them before I let them out in the yard?

we got 2 ducks and a drake last year, one of the ducks is broody, and we let her hatch out a brood. We kept a couple, so now have 3 ducks and 2 drakes . They are Australian spotted, but we also have an Indian runner duck. We are right in the city. The Indian runner lays an egg a day, but I rarely get an egg from the others. When I do it is very fresh, still warm, and this is around 8:30 in the morning when I let them out of their house.
They free range in our yard, and often I can’t find the broody duck. Last night when I was putting them in the house for the night, I found out why. She has a nest of 9 eggs behind some debris in the yard.
So couple of questions. I don’t dare leave her out all night with them , so do I put them in the house with her, do I incubate them myself. If I put them in the house, do I make a nest box since she wants to be secluded? If I put her in the house with them, assuming I get more eggs from the Aussies, should I just let her keep them too? How do I get them to lay earlier in the day so they have them before I let them out in the yard?
Okay, you really can't move a Ducks nest and expect her to continue setting them. Not like a Chicken Hen.
You would have to confine her to the pen and the house with nice bedding for her to begin setting..You could begin incubation in an incubator and mark the eggs. Once she settles on a new nest you can remove the eggs she continues to lay with the incubator eggs and let her hatch those.

She added another egg today. Last year they were confined to the pen, and obviously the house was good enough

Back
Top Bottom