Broody Duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hippiehen, Apr 29, 2009.

1. hippiehen

hippiehen wastefully exuberant

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    Yesterday when I went to pen up the ducks (magpies and khaki campbells) I noticed somebody has make a huge nest out of the shavings and lined it with feathers! What are the chances of a duck going broody? I would be so excited! I just had a hen hatch out four duck eggs for me, but I would love to have more!!

2. Magpies definately do go broody sometimes, even Campbells too on rare occasion! [​IMG]
    What color are the eggs?

3. hippiehen

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    They are creamy white.

4. I read that sometimes Magpies lay blue eggs. Can you tell which hens lay which eggs? With white eggs I guess they could be either a Magpie or a Campbell. (But I would lay odds on the Magpie!)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  5. hippiehen

Aug 27, 2008
    Utopia, Texas
    The eggs are from everyone, they have a nice little collection!

6. Duh, of course! What about the feathers, can you tell which duck they're coming from?

7. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I had a campell go broody for me (She sat on 20 eggs)

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I got a light chocolate muscovy and as of this morning she had eight eggs.

9. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    wait, if they build a nest like that is that indicating they'll go broody? my pekin hen is doing the same thing. she's built HUGE nests covered in feathers and she even managed to find some stray hay strands from the winter! she's not a year old yet so i'm not expecting too much, but i'm leaving all her eggs for her, just in case!

10. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    I have a call duck that has gone broody she has a small nest made of shavings and feathers she has 3 call eggs under if I would have left the other call in with her she would have had more. She has 3 chicken eggs under her too that she stole:yiipchick

Will have to move the chicken eggs out since they will hatch first. She will prob leave the nest then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by