1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by deborah the silkie, Mar 24, 2010.

1. deborah the silkie

deborah the silkie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Phoenix
    So this may seem like a strange question, but how and when does a duck decide to go broody? From the best of my knowledge i am gathering that she is a mallard mix, she is mallard color, with white tips to her wings, and white ring around her neck. She was with males before i adopted her, and has so far laid over 8 eggs, my question is will she eventually want to brood? I have read that some ducks go broody with somwhere near 20 eggs, will she need that many? I can easily get more eggs if i need to. Any suggestioins or info would be greatly appreciated.

2. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    i am waiting on a duck to go broody myself. she has laid 10 eggs, one each day since the 14th!! i am soo impatient!! everyone keeps telling me she will go broody when she has enough eggs to lay on.

[​IMG] idk about you but i am going crazy over here [​IMG]

3. deborah the silkie

deborah the silkie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Phoenix
    really interesting, does breed matter, i know some breeds are just like chickens right? they aren't bred to go broody? does her coloration sound like a mallard mix or something else?

4. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    uhm, those questions i'm not sure about, still learning about broody duckies. all i know is they sit when they are good and ready, and when they poo it really stinks hahaha..

idk about your color question either. i'm sure someone smarter than me will come along

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Yes - like chickens - some breeds of ducks are more likely to go broody than others - and the amount of eggs they lay will vary too. Its not so much a decision to go broody as an instinct that they have.
    Mallards can be very reliable broodies...But like all animals ..You will always have some that dont fit the mold.

If you are able to put a photo up- someone hear may be able to give you a better idea of what breed or cross breed she may be.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    After about 14 days the fertility of an egg drops. You might want to put some fake eggs in their to give her a hint [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by