1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by muckmuck, Oct 26, 2011.

1. muckmuck

muckmuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2011
    Las Vegas
    I have a gang of 5 ducks that strut around my chicken yard like their the popular kids in high school. For the last month or so I had been finding big nests of eggs that were stone cold, i had no idea how old they were so I boiled them and fed them to my flock. Two weeks ago I found three nests totalling about 30 eggs, 2 of the nests were cold the third all 10 eggs were warm so I left it alone. Last weekend I noticed that my black crested duck is sitting on the nest full time and hisses whenever anyone goes near and duck eggs are showing back up in the hens nest like they used to. Should I let her keep setting? I'm in Las Vegas so it's not really cold yet but do you think I should take them away if any hatch, or just let her do her thing?

Thanks, Max

2. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:Hey Max!

If it was me I would let Mama do her thing. You might want to mark her "good eggs" in case the other girls are still laying in there. I would take out the bottom bathc, they might explode and make a mess. Then leave those you think she can reasonably incubate (well marked) and check back regularly to make sure you remove any new eggs your other girls might be laying there.

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  3. animalsRawesome

animalsRawesome Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I don't see why you wouldn't just let her "do her thing"

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I can share what I've seen with my runners getting broody, and pass along what I've read on the forum.

Each duck has her own level of broodiness and mothering instinct. Some are pitiful at one or both, some are great, many fall in between, so you'll need to watch closely.

I feel that it's good to have a broody duck if you want to have ducklings from time to time. There are three of mine who go broody, and next spring I'm thinking of putting some fertile eggs under them and hope for the best (probably with an incubator waiting in the wings).

Depending on the weather and your setup, you may be able to let things be as long as she's safe and being a good mom.

Some find that the setting goes well, but that the broody attacks the ducklings after they're hatched, or steps on them, or other troubles crop up.

If you cannot keep all of them in a place where the ducklings are protected from drafts and such, you may need to abscond with the ducklings into an indoor brooder.

It is often recommended to candle the eggs a few times during the 28 day incubation. It can be dicey, but you can probably sneak an egg if she takes a potty/eating/drinking break.

5. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    ducks are great parents let her raise them up once they hatch make a temporary pen around the nest to keep them from wander off and getting harmed. they need to be bigger untill they can follow your other ducks around the yard again. good luck and enjoy them...here is a broody i had to put in a pen to protect her clutch of babies

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  6. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. wackwack

wackwack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    south east ireland
    ok, question (very cute pics by the way)
    but i dont want ducklings, not right now anyway, maybe in the spring, (not that anyone is laying now!)
    but i know with chickens if they go broody it can be hard to change their minds...i dont know with ducks.
    i had planned to take any eggs away rather than let her 'do her thing' but if the eggs are gone, will she stop being broody?
    its the one thing thats bugging me right now, just incase, mine go in their house at night for safety, so if one goes broody would i know becaue she doesnt come out or like the 1st post will i just find a nest somewhere....
    or....is it a case of wait and see what happens? i like to be prepared and know what to do in these situations for the ducks best interest, even if it is months away or might never happen! now that Mr Boo figured out what the lake is for [​IMG] ahem, i was just wondering..............

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It's going to depend on your duck. I have nine runners and three of them get seriously broody. Another three get a broody moment here and there, the rest never seem to give it a thought . . . well, ducks thinking, is a stretch, but you get my drift![​IMG]

It seems that taking the eggs right away reduces the broodiness somewhat, sometimes.

9. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:as mean as it sounds, the easiest way to break a broody chicken is to dip her in cold water. The broodiness brings on a fever that you may be able to break (depending on the chicken). Ducks... well that's a whole other issue. If you figure out a way to break a broody duck please let me know - LOL! [​IMG]

10. waterchicken

waterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    Ducks are really good mamas but watch the nest carefully, if you have chicken be careful to not let them take over the nest (or she might just start a new one.) I agree that you should let mama duck 'Do her thing' but when they hatch make sure you put them in a pen just to be sure. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by