Broody Duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckBoy323, Feb 23, 2012.

1. DuckBoy323

DuckBoy323 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Arlington Washington
    How do you know your duck is broody/is gonna be broody? If there are a buncha feathers on the nest?

2. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

3. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I don't think there is any way to know for sure until they actually start laying on them. If your ducks made a nest, then you may want to look at the breed and decide whether to leave them out there or not. For example, cayugas, rouens, mallards, and call ducks, generally do go broody. Pekin generally do not (although I got lucky last year and had a pekin adopt my cayugas nest and hatch 8 little ducklings). Khaki campbells are even less likely to go broody.

4. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Is your duck a Muscovy? If it is and there are feathers in the nest, she's peeping like she's annoyed and beginning to ruffle her feathers out... she's beginning to go broody. Sometimes it takes a few days like this and she will begin staying on the nest longer each day...then... SIT.

5. DuckBoy323

DuckBoy323 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Arlington Washington
    I have a Muscovy and a rouen, the Rouen is the one sitting right now. When I went up to her on the nest, she kinda expanded her wings and didn't really run aaway like she would.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I would say she is probably going to go broody. She is protecting the nest. How many eggs are there? Like someone else posted, they will pluck their feathers and add them to the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by