Broody Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fowl farm, Oct 17, 2012.

1. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    One of my Mallard hens has gone broody. What is the likely hood of her actually hatching her eggs this late in the year? She isn't even a year old, and this is her 3rd nest. The first she laid 10 eggs in and then left it, the second she laid 14 eggs in and went broody, but in an attempt to move her, we broke her broody-ness. This time we brought the protection to her and this her 3rd day! She has spent two nights on it.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I've had a Mallard go broody in October before. It's very likely she will hatch out her eggs.

3. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    Oh, fun! :)

4. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    Finished with day #9 and all goes well. Only 19 days more! What do I need to do once she hatches them? Will she keep going back to the nest for the night with the ducklings? Her nest is outside.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Her nest is outside, aren't you worried a pred will get her and then her ducklings when they hatch?

6. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    We have her covered, so I think she'll be good, not to mention she picked a very protected area. I would like to move her inside when the ducklings hatch, but will she leave her nest once they do?

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If she feels protected she may stay a couple days till the little ones have their legs under them good, you have a couple options you can move her as soon as hatch starts I did that with one of my Muscovies and she staid put or you can wait till hatch is over and move her or you can wait till she brings them out and try to get her to take them where you want them to go. If you could put up temp fencing around where she is now you'd have a better chance of convincing her [by catching] that she would be better off inside. She'll feel better if the other ducks can't mess with her and her ducklings.

8. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    I'm going to put her in the lower level of my guinea pen because 1) it's closer to her nest and 2) it's away from the other ducks and fenced. The guineas shouldn't bother her and my only issue is getting rid of my two drakes currently living there (oh, why couldn't they have been hens?[​IMG]). But once her ducklings hatch, she shouldn't leave them even if I move her?

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I don't think you'll have to worry about her leaving the ducklings as long as she feels protected. Mama ducks can be pretty weird about their ducklings and usually don't want anything close to them so you may have to watch your guineas. When I moved my Muscovy and her duckling the other eggs hadn't hatched yet but she was off the ground in a nest box so I was worried about the one duckling falling out, she sat tight and continued to sit tight for 3 days before bringing them outside. I put food and water inside their stall with them it was messy but it was the only thing I could do. I had a large serving tray that i put under the feed and water so that did help.

10. fowl farm

May 9, 2012
    Well, the guineas aren't usually in the pen during the day..... I'll figure something out. I know all ducks are different, but what's the likely-hood of her attacking me when the ducklings hatch? She's fairly tame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by