Broody duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mrs.H, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    I have 2 Rouen females (about a year old) and 2 pekin males. Yesterday one of the females was laying on the eggs all day, would get off for water then go back. About 4pm tho she was out in the run and didnt go back to the eggs. Not sure she layed on them last night, havent seen her on them this morning. Yesterdays eggs were buried in the shavings on the side of where they lay, and 2 more were layed. Ive never had a broody duck, so im not sure what the process is lol. Maybe she changed her mind? Should I just collect the eggs at this point? Thanks

2. smonkeySK

smonkeySK Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    If broody she should gather/lay a clutch before she starts to sit full time.

Sounds like stage 1 to me!

There should be some behavioural cues you can pick up on too - mine act frumpy for want of a better word. They'll fluff up and their calls will be different- plus they usually get more territorial.

Have fun :)

3. Mrs.H

Mar 22, 2010
    Y
    If broody she should gather/lay a clutch before she starts to sit full time.

Sounds like stage 1 to me!

There should be some behavioural cues you can pick up on too - mine act frumpy for want of a better word. They'll fluff up and their calls will be different- plus they usually get more territorial.

Have fun :)

I did see her back on the nest for a little bit earlier . And yes she's not acting like her usual self. Thanks for the info!

4. Mrs.H

Mar 22, 2010
    I do not know how my reply got all messed up and in your quote

5. smonkeySK

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    Lol it does it to me all the time -pops the quote in then puts your cursor into the middle of said quote!

Good luck with the brood; you're in for 4 weeks of self induced worry ;)

6. Mrs.H

Mar 22, 2010
    Lol thanks!

7. Mrs.H

Mar 22, 2010

How long will the eggs stay good for before they go full time as in stay fertile? I haven't seen either duck lay on them at night, didn't check last night tho. They seem to be staying on them longer during the day. I say they bc it seems my other female took over? Lol no idea who's doing what at this point

8. smonkeySK

Dec 20, 2013
    wigan uk
    The eggs should be viable for a couple of weeks before she has to start sitting. As for sharing brood duties it could be that your other hen is deciding to sit too.

I've had ducks fighting over nests and nesting spots, I've also had other ducks seemingly helping with sitting.

You'll probably just have to wait and see; sometimes these things are a bit hit and miss!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by