Broody ducks, Will they take care of themselves?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ktduck, Aug 18, 2014.

1. ktduck

ktduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hi all,

My 3 girls are broody for the first time, and over the last couple of weeks I have seen them gathering leaves and sticks and making a big nest in their houses. I normally collect the eggs each morning but ive been very sick and my lazy partner hasnt done it! I went down yesterday to see one of the girls sitting on 5 eggs...I took them away and it was horrible to watch her get upset.

My question is, if they sat on their eggs...would they definitely hatch babies? And if they did hatch babies, do I need to intervene at all?? Do I need to do anything other than provide duckling feed? And will my ducks just become mothers and do what nature tells them?
    Another thing - and this might seem ridiculous...if they did have ducklings and I sold them or gave them away, would the mother duck be stressed at this?

Basically, I will continue to take the eggs away, but if it could all be done quite easily and naturally if I just leave my girls to it, I don't see the harm in having some babies.

Look forward to some wise advice :)
    Thanks

Katie

2. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    the answer to all you questions is maybe.

they may sit long enough to hatch or they might not. and you may need to intervene or you may not. and they may become good momma and do what nature tells them but then they also could be awful moms and hurt or kill their babies.

if you want to let them hatch babies i would just watch them close while they do so and then if they hatch babies make sure their taking good care of the babies. i've had one sit dutifully but then not care for her babies and one died before i caught them and put them in a brooder and raised them myself

so give it a try if you want just watch them

3. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Maybe is likely the best response lol unproven broodies and mums are just that unproven. I leave broody mamas to handle things ensure they have access to safe water and age appropriate feed and are secure especially at night otherwise most ducks will handle things just fine. That said the old saying hope for the best prepare for the worst...

I always have backup plans in case i do need to intervene. As for weaning depends on the ducks, some will be hard core attached for weeks others pretty much give up at a couple weeks ...

I let my mamas wean the kids here.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  4. ktduck

ktduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks for your advice :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by