Broody Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLiv17, Jan 15, 2017.

1. TLiv17

TLiv17 Just Hatched

Jan 15, 2017
    I'm new to this site and i have a questions about my ducks. My one female Muscovy mix has been sitting on her nest more than she's been going out of the coop the past couple days. I didn't think anything of it as it's been negative temperatures lately, and i thought she was only in the coop because the cold. Earlier today she got a little aggressive with me while i went to pet her while she was sitting on it so i started to question what she was doing. She has made a pretty decent nest in the coop, and has 7-8 eggs in the nest that she's sitting on. I read that when a duck goes broody, their chest becomes really warm, which hers is, but i was thinking that's just because she's laying on straw and her body temp is warming her chest up. This is my first year with ducks, and my other females have never gone broody, so i wanted some expert opinions lol. Thank you. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and [​IMG]! Sounds like you have a broody on your hands, based on her behavior. Muscovy ducks are known to go broody frequently (and mine sure did). She'll try to hatch that clutch if you let her.

3. TLiv17

TLiv17 Just Hatched

Jan 15, 2017
    in your opinion, what should i do? is it a bad time to let her hatch the eggs right now or should i let her? i don't want to stress her out in any way. i was thinking maybe mark the ones she has right now and take all the ones she lays after today. is that a bad idea? if she was to hatch them, i'd take them away and bring them inside where they can we warm and safe.

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

That's what I would do, if I decided to let her hatch them - mark the eggs she currently has in the clutch (I recommend using a permanent marker because pencil ink will rub off) and take the new ones away daily. Is it very cold where you are? She could potentially raise them outside, if she has good shelter from the wind and weather...or you could take the ducklings away and raise them in a brooder if you want them to be better socialized and at less risk from predators.

If you have the setup and inclination to have ducklings, I say go for it; bear in mind, though, that if she's a first-time mom, she may not follow through and get off the eggs at some point, so you should have an incubator ready just in case. Full disclosure: I hatched a lot of ducklings over the spring and summer, so you're probably asking the wrong person if you're looking for the "voice of reason". [​IMG]

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

5. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG] I know the feeling of not wanting to stress her out. Whether you pull the eggs now or pull the ducklings, she will be stressed. You mentioned negative temperatures... I would pull the eggs and wait til Spring. If she sits and hatches them, the weather will be a stress factor for her and the ducklings. My Muscovies do not sit on their young and I worry about the little ones getting cold even at 60 degree temperatures.

Has she started lining her nest with feathers? If you decide to let her sit, make sure she has food and water near by.

1 person likes this.
  6. bhducks

bhducks New Egg

Aug 24, 2016
    I have two Muscovies sitting on eggs. This is the first time for us so I have some questions.

I have one drake, three hen muscovies, and two hen khaki's. Usually the muscovies all live in one pen and the khakis in another. I usually don't keep water in the pens as they free range all day and we have a stream about 50 feet from the barn where they bathe; I do give them water with their pellets near the barn.

Will my sitting ducks come out of the pen to bathe, drink, and eat or should I keep everything they need in the pen with them?

Should I move the other muscovies out of that pen and in with the other ducks? I know the drake should not be near the ducklings when they hatch.

This afternoon both sitting ducks were on the same nest, one has now moved to another nest. If she decides to go back, should I move her? Should I have both ducks in seperate places?

I have read that once they start sitting they stop laying eggs. True? Or, as I read in one of the posts on this thread, should I be marking the eggs just to make sure new ones aren't added to the existing ones.

Finally, I don't want three ducks hatching eggs but my third muscovy is chirping and acting weird. If I keep taking her eggs away, will she snap out of it?

Thanks! I'm super excited about having ducklings so any advice would be great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by