Broody ducks?

Angel07

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
Victoria, Australia
Yesterday I noticed that one of my ducks was sitting on a nest of eggs from her and my other duck pretty much all day. She tried to attack me when I tried to put the eggs that had fallen off the nest. I marked the eggs when she got off. This morning the other duck was sitting so I kept an eye out and when she hopped off I raced out and marked them all. The first duck was also off the nest and when I checked she had an extra egg. I'm unsure if she's actually broody now though. She spends all morning on the nest and most of the afternoon. I'm pretty sure she slept there last night too. These 2 girls are the only girls that are old enough to lay I'm pretty sure.

I really want these girls to go broody but I'm unsure now if she is. Any advice appreciated.

If she is getting puffed up, filling the nest with feathers, hissy and walks across with her mouth open likely she is silently telling you off she's going broody. Whether she will actually sit long enough is a different story. I have one hen who goes broody, but seems to enjoy being an a** more then she does sitting.

I’m still really confused. They doesn’t get off the nest until after lunch. They’re on it when I head out in the morning to let everyone out. But they’re off for the rest of the day. I think it’s mainly the drakes fault. He calls out for them because he’s only got the young ducks to hang out with. It’s pretty warm here. Early 20s constantly. Are the eggs still okay? Should I leave the girls locked up so they can’t wander?

I’m still really confused. They doesn’t get off the nest until after lunch. They’re on it when I head out in the morning to let everyone out. But they’re off for the rest of the day. I think it’s mainly the drakes fault. He calls out for them because he’s only got the young ducks to hang out with. It’s pretty warm here. Early 20s constantly. Are the eggs still okay? Should I leave the girls locked up so they can’t wander?
How many eggs are in the nest? They will sit for periods throughout the day, but not consistent until they get a full clutch.

How many eggs are in the nest? They will sit for periods throughout the day, but not consistent until they get a full clutch.
There is 8-10 under each of them. Is this enough for them? One of the girls are a bit smaller and is just fitting on all of them. I’ve got 12 other eggs inside as eating eggs, should I put some of those in?

So, I went out around 2 hours after I locked them up for the night. One of the girls was trying to get through the gate to the drakes because he was singing out for her. The other one was sitting on her nest. Tomorrow when she gets off the nest I’ll put the other eggs under her and she can hatch the whole lot out

Back
Top Bottom