Broody ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by sashacat, Apr 20, 2012.

1. sashacat

sashacat Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2011
    I am down to a mixed pair of ducks and the female (Campbell) is finally starting to set on her eggs. Should the drake(Runner) stay in the coop with her or do I need to lock him out? She is in the back nesting part of their house, it also has a floored porch where the feeder is and a screen bottom porch where the water is. Will he bother her? He keeps going in and out and "talking" to her. Never tried this before, I always took the eggs and used the incubator, but it died, so....any help would be appreciated! THanks!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    No he will not bother her, matter of fact he is probably good company for her. Now when ducklings arrive keep a close eye on him for a few days just to be sure he likes his kids. All you need to do is sit back and wait till the happy day arrives. Be sure to let us know. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  3. sashacat

Sep 7, 2011
    Thanks, hope you are right. We'll just see what happens next, I guess!

4. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Well it must work ok ... isn't that how nature has been doing it? [​IMG]

Good luck, sashacat, let us know how it progresses.

5. sashacat

Sep 7, 2011
    Well, Mrs. Duck has decided not to sit there any more! She does not go in the nest at all except when I lock them in at night. I let her lay about 15 eggs and she just has no more interest at all. I took them all out today. She hasn't added any in the last few days, tho I did see a couple of "rubbery" eggs in the pen. Maybe she is old (about 3) or out of whack some how. maybe we will try again later, or if I really want babies I can try the incubator again. We will just have to see. Thanks for thinking of me!

6. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Sorry to hear that. I've heard it is not unusual for some ducks to get fed up with sitting and break off early. Good luck with the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by