Broody ducks??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by peachick, Aug 17, 2008.

1. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    other than muscovies, what large breed is good for going broody??

TIA

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Most rouens are supposed to be good for brooding. I have found that most ducks if you leave there eggs will go broody even if they do not haych them. I even had a pekin go broody. Rouens like I said are supposed to be good.

3. LV426

LV426 Chillin

Jul 16, 2008
    Cayugas and Swedish are good brooders. So are Golden Cascades from what I have read.

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i have rouens and all 4 of my hens went broody and hatched babies

5. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    My Rouen only started a year after my pekins got the broody bug. Maybe its just My pekins, but i can't quite get mine to STOP being broody.

6. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    thanks for the replies. I looked at feathersite, and I just dont care for the looks of muscovy ducks. I like the rouens though. and I have one blue swedish drake that is very nice... I'd like to find him a couple girls. and hope they are good setters.

anyone in MD have any blue swedish????

7. duckman

duckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    michigan
    Quote:My peking keep going broody to once they do hatch them they are good mothers. They also hatch almost all of the eggs. I had one hatch 14 and another hatch 11.

Duckman

8. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    My Buff orp duck is only 8 months, and is broody at the moment over 7 eggs ( But has laid 10) [​IMG]

So id say they are pretty good. But then again she is kind of petite, beign half the size of her mate, my mallard drake.

Amd great Idea on the blue Swedish! Once had a drake who was just amazing! He was such a handsome fellow.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by