Broody due 12/29, anyone else??? It's not looking good :-(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by justmeandtheflock, Dec 16, 2009.

1. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    My silver phoenix pullet who is 20 something weeks old went broody a few weeks ago. I put 3 eggs under her because she wouldn't quit and I am afraid she will waste away in this cold we are having if she didn't get chicks. She has 2 brown leghorn/silver phoenix and 1 EE/silver phoenix eggs under her. I have a double cage with 10+ week old silkies and 5 week old mix chicks I hatched on one side and I moved her to the other side so they are all under the heat lamp but we have had some unseasonal very cold days and power outages in the last week so I am worried about all of them. My flock seems to be OK with new chicks since my 8 week old RSL/EE have run of the coop (they have hiding places under the double cage w/heat and under the nest boxes) and all has been well so hoping everyone is OK with the newest chicks if they hatch. Hoping they do so this poor pullet can get back to eating normal in this cold. Anyone else due around then??

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. Garden Gal

Garden Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    Virginia
    My broody hen hatched one little one this AM! We are in VA; it has been cold but no snow as of yet. The coop is insulated but not heated. I put a heat lamp in today when she hatched the single egg. :) it is my first "natural born" - I've only incubated eggs so far. Good luck with your gal!

3. adorable

adorable Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2007
    near ottawa ontario
    mine is due one day later than yours. It just started with the really cold weather here. -23 last night. The coop is insulated.But not heated. Lots of snow. I am soon going to have to move her just before they hatch. So the others wouldnt pick on the babies.

4. Cluckin'Along

Cluckin'Along Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Exeter, RI
    I have a BSL that went broody about 5 days ago, she is only a year old, so I waited till last night to be sure she was committed, and stuffed 7 eggs under her. Hopefully on Jan 6 or so I'll have 6-7 Lil' barnyard mix fluffy butts! This will be my first broody/chicks, so it ought to be interesting! Good Luck to you! Finger crossed all around!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have 4 broodies (Silkies) right now! I finally gave up breaking them. They are now setting. Mine should be due Jan 3, I think. Do you have pictures of your broody?
    Here are a couple of mine ....
    [​IMG]

6. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Quote:Congrats on your new baby!!! These will be my 1st broody hatch too.

7. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Quote:It's not that cold here!!! It's been going into the teens at night and 20's during the day but then we get 40's mixed in there too. We had about a foot of snow over the last week but then it rained so it is just about gone now.

8. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Cluckin'Along :

I have a BSL that went broody about 5 days ago, she is only a year old, so I waited till last night to be sure she was committed, and stuffed 7 eggs under her. Hopefully on Jan 6 or so I'll have 6-7 Lil' barnyard mix fluffy butts! This will be my first broody/chicks, so it ought to be interesting! Good Luck to you! Finger crossed all around!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck to you too!!! My DD's bday is the 5th so maybe she will share hers with your little fluffy butts [​IMG]

9. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Quote:They look so sweet broody together [​IMG]

Here is Bunny Bunny (My almost 4 year old is responsible for the name) a few weeks ago when she 1st started trying to go broody. She is sitting in a Lego bin now because that was all I could find to fit in the cage [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. justmeandtheflock

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I just did the math, She hatched on June 19th so she is 26 weeks old tomorrow. She is my little super mother hen. She started laying at 16 weeks and hardly took a day off until she went broody a few days before Thanksgiving. When she did take a day off she laid a double yolker the next day. I wish I had saved some of her eggs for her to hatch because my roo is the sweetest silver phoenix roo who takes wonderful care of his girls. The two of them would make nice, sweet broody babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by