Broody eggs have started hatching...PICS

ZuniBee

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
Zuni, Virginia
Thought I would check on the broody and when I opened the door there were three cutle little fluffy chicks with her! They look better than the ones I have in the house. I wonder how many she can handle? Could I put the 8 with her?

broody1.gif

broody2.gif

broody3.gif

AAAAWWWW! That is so adorable.

I love seeing pics of broody mamas and babies.
It's amazing to watch mama show them how to get around in the chicken world.

THta is GREAT!!!! What a blessing! I have never had any hens go broody as I have mostly sex links right now:-( I can't wait to someday see beautiful little babies peeking out from under a rather moody mamma!!!

big_smile.png

see beautiful little babies peeking out from under a rather moody mamma!!!

Man that statement is accurate! She is still VERY moody and growls at me every time I open the door! But I have to say, incubating is really cool but seeing the little babies with the momma hen is awesome.

Anyone know how many chicks the momma can handle? I would love to let her raise them all.....​

Hey Zuni, how many eggs were under her? It will all depend on how many she hatches her self to how many you could stick under her. I have had 10 to 15 before. Give her until tonight and then after dark slip them right by her back half. The chicks will wiggle right under her without a problem. I have done this a few times and actually done it during the day to and my hens have accepted them fine. I ended up taking them away a few days later since my cats go after the babies and the poor hen cant get everyone together fast enough. That will change this year!!! Love the pics too. Jenn

Thanks for that info. She has a total of 9 eggs under her. I don't know how many have hatched. So far, I have seen two white and two tan ones at the same time so I know there are 4. I'm afraid to try to lift her because she may freak out and crush the little ones....... The two Jersey Giant eggs under her were put there two days after the others so I believe they will hatch later...

You would be amazed at when they will hatch. I had 2 batches of eggs that were set 3 days apart when I put them in the bator. Since I didnt want to mess up the humidity and temp putting more in the hatcher I set both sets in at the same time. The later eggs hatched about 1 1/2 to 2 days early. I think it was because they heard everyone else calling and thought they were late. lol Give her a day and see how it is going. I wouldnt pick her up either. I have found when I have done that a couple dont end up hatching. Jenn

Back
Top Bottom