1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

broody ex-battery hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by thereseiam, Oct 26, 2009.

1. thereseiam

thereseiam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Durant, Iowa
    Okay, what are the chances?? I have an ex-battery hen who is acting broody. She is always on the eggs when I go to gather, and doesn't want to move to let me collect them. Today when I reached under her, she pecked at me for stealing her eggs.

What are the chances that she would actually raise a chick?

Should I leave a marked egg with her and see if she'll hatch it out? I have two roos with my girls, so chances are good that it would be fertile--I'd think, anyway. I've never caught either of the boys 'in the act' but I am guessing that if they are with their girls, they're mating, right?

I'm not exactly sure what breed of hens these battery girls are, they are the smaller, leaner type like most egg layers, are light buff colored, with read specks throughout. Some have more red than others.

Anyone good with breeds willing to take a guess as to what they might be if I take some pictures?

Therese

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I always get a kick out of how purposeful hens seem when they set.

If she is healthy & you don't mind more birds, why not let her set? I'd put 4 or 5 under her. That way you are likely to have more than 1 chick. That's better, in case you have to brood them yourself.

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

I've been told at a battery hen welfare trust, they are hybrids between Sussex and RIRs, I'm not 100% sure on this.

I would let her sit, it'll be a good 'experiment' to see if ex-batts are good broodies and mums. [​IMG]

eggsrcool [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by