Broody experience

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by crooked stripe, Oct 25, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I would hope everyone gets to experience of watching nature raise chicks from hatching till so far as 7 weeks. The broody takes better care of them than I ever thought. She has taught them to find food and water the first day of hatch. She protects them with a furry at times. At first the other chickens where curious and would approach and the broody put them in there place immeditily. We have a beagle who thinks he is a chicken and follows the hens around the yard just sniffing. The broody took care of him once and for all. Now he won't get close.
    I bought a dozen assortment of bantam hatching eggs from Meyer. 7 hatched 2 didn't and 3 were killed by the broody getting the 1/2 hatched eggs stuck in her feathers. One White Crested Black Polish disappeared one day. I have one left. I still have no idea what I have. All but 2 are different and they are the black ones, 1 far right. Any help out there? Now the chicks pop up in between the other hens on the roost at night to keep warm. All a happy family. If you get a chance to see this take advantage of it. John

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  2. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    [​IMG]

3. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Can't get photo bucket to work.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  4. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    [​IMG]

5. crooked stripe

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Brain lapse!

[​IMG]

6. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    the brown chick looks like browm leghorn and the two back chicks with stripes look like marans with the darker one being a female

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by