Broody experiment gone bad - 4 Buffs

rem40x

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 27, 2009
Howdy,
Had a coyote problem while free-ranging and now trying to replace some of the flock.
So I separated 4 hens w/ the rooster and 4 nest boxes.
They used 3 boxes for the last two weeks with maybe 20 eggs but they never sat.
I thought the heat might be causing some of this. Today's inspection resulted in broken eggs everywhere and some appeared to have pecked holes in them.
There is always auto water and feed.
I removed all the mess and replace w/ clean straw.

What am I doing wrong?
Thank you,
Greg

You cant make them go broody its all on there clock and im pretty sure 20 eggs were taking up room in there nest box.
put golf balls in there and take the fresh eggs out. you did just pen them so there probobaly a little scared still and the momma has to be relaxed to go broody.also reason for collecting eggs and replacing with golf balls is the hens cant peck/eat them one day they go broody on the golf balls give it atleast 2 days to be sure then give her nice fresh fertile eggs and shell hatch 'em

Thank so much!
I only have one rooster and 16 hens. I reckon it's not likely the removed eggs will still be fresh enough when they go broody.
Reckon I'll need to release the rooster back into the main flock.
Again, Much Appreciated.
-Greg

I second the incubator recommendation, if you want to hatch your own. If you have your heart set on broody hens, though, you might consider finding some local stock to add to your ranks! While they won't be ready to lay now (if you purchase chicks), you'll be starting out about the same age as if you hatched them, so I doubt that'd be an issue. If you can find local stock, from birds that you know have been broody, you'll know that your chicks have the potential to do this in the future. Many of the hatchery stock chicks that are purchased now are not bred for broody behavior. Good luck!!!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom