Broody experts out there?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Moochie, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Ergh! Broody experts out there? I moved a broody to her own little place, to hatch and raise 2 eggs. It started pouring with rain and she got out of the nest box to eat and scratch around. I tried to put her back with the two eggs and she was reluctant to, it's like she only went in to escape the rain. She's making the low "cluck cluck" noises but I'm worried that I may have caused her to snap out of her broody spell. Any ideas or advice?

I thought this was my lucky day, no need to buy an incubator.. Gee I hope she sits on them! Last time she raised 5 and did a great job!

2. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    If you can get her to settle back down on the eggs and actually feel the eggs under her she may settle again. I had to move a broody ONTO some purchased eggs this week, and into a dog kennel to boot. At first she resisted, I allowed her to leave, and she went back to her original nest. I picked her up again and made sure to really settle her on eggs, and even moved them a bit with my hands under her and she got it, pecked me, and settled right down on the eggs (and is still happily sitting there 3 days later).

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If she's clucking, she's still broody. Did she settle back on the eggs?

4. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I moved her back to the original place where she nested. She's sitting on the eggs now but I'm going to change the eggs when the 2 hens lay today. Just incase.
    I remembered last time I moved her, it was when the eggs were getting close to hatching. I forgot because the last time was in March of this year. My fault for trying to rush things.

5. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    A settled reliable broody will stay on the eggs right through the rain. It sounds like she didnt like her move and had not yet adjusted to her new home. If you move the hen at night your chances of success will be much higher.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by