Broody Feeding Question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by AccentOnHakes, Apr 16, 2011.

1. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Okay, so I have only two hens. They're still chicks, but.... We had wanted four, so picked out four pullets from the feed store. One died, and one of the remaining three is a roo. So that leaves us with two. If in the future one goes broody, we would like to slip two feed store chicks under her and have her raise them so that we can have a flock of four.

What should I feed them?

I know that most people remove the broody and feed the broody and chicks chick starter, but we can't do that. The other hen would be all alone. Should I make a creep feeder? I don't know how to "teach" the chicks to go in and use it. Should I feed them grower? Unmedicated chick starter? I'm not sure if my feed store has flock raiser, but they do have gamebird crumbles. What would be the best?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If you order your chicks from a hatchery you could have them vaccinated before they arrive ( not sure if the feed store would do that- but they get their chicks from hatcheries also so you could ask them about it) then maybe you could feed them all the unmedicated starter? Hopefully someone more experienced will second this or suggest something more appropriate. Good luck!

3. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    You can leave your broody hen there with the other hen, you do want to raise the protein intake of the chicks tho, you can do this by using Purina Flock Raiser or Chick Starter, either one will be good. More protein to your other non broody hen will not affect her, unless you give her gamebird crumbles as this has way too much protein which can lead to your hen gaining a lot of weight and that might reduce her egg laying. if you do decide to feed them all chick starter, you need to supplement Oyster shell as hens need this for strong egg shells, and it comes on the laying feed but not on the chick starter, don't worry about the chicks eating it, mom will teach them what to eat and what not.
    I hope this helps! Good Luck

4. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    So gamebird has too much protein? Okay, I'll stay away from that.

I'm not sure if my feed store has unmedicated chick starter, but they have organic chick starter. Does that mean it'll be unmedicated? My hens will have oyster shell, no worries there. I don't think grower is usually medicated, should I feed that?

5. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    A kind of unrelated broody question:

If my hen goes broody, should I wait 21 days before getting her chicks? Or can I give her chicks whenever I want? I will wait a few days to make sure she is serious about going broody, though.

6. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    Anyone else?

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:
    unless you give her gamebird crumbles as this has way too much protein which can lead to your hen gaining a lot of weight and that might reduce her egg laying.

What type of Game Bird feed are you talking about? There are a lot of people that feed a Game Bird feed and have no ill affects (my self included).
    I fed a 22% Game Bird starter/grower for years to all my birds (chicks, growers, layers and breeders) and always had good amount of eggs from all my hens.

Chris​

8. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

I, and a lot of other people, don't feed medicated feed at all. Especially since the broody will be raising the chicks, they will get all the exposure to the protozoa right there in the coop. We that don't feed medicated feed to brooder chicks, brings dirt from where the chicks will eventually be housed and put it in the brooder for the chicks to eat.

9. AccentOnHakes

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:Does organic chick starter mean it will be unmedicated? My feed store has the normal feed, gamebird, and organic feed.

10. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Does organic chick starter mean it will be unmedicated? My feed store has the normal feed, gamebird, and organic feed.

There are very few 'medications' allowed in organic feed, but you would have to look at the bag to make sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by