1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody finally broke!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pharmchickrnmom, Nov 13, 2010.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    So after almost 3 weeks of sitting on nothing in the nest box, Elanor has finally given up her broodiness! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I thought she would never stop. How long until she starts laying again?[​IMG] I am looking forward to no more broody poo. The first time I saw it, I was like [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]. Hopefully nobody else goes broody.

2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats. Mine was broody from October 28 through November 12. I had to try some things before I found a workable solution to break the broodiness.

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    what's with the "broody poo" comments...? does she just poo in the lay box and make a huge pile up in a corner or something...?

4. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    No Gumbii, she would do it in the yard. Broodys hold their poo while they are sitting on the nest and only go when they get out of it to eat and drink and poo. This could be hours for some and believe me, when they go, it is the biggest, nastiest smelling poo you will ever see and smell!!!

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I've had a broody or mama 6 or 8 times now and they always started laying with a day or two of quitting. So far.

6. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Congrats!! Yay! She should start laying within four days, in my experience. Hoping for more broodies for you and I in the SPRING!

7. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Some of mine have started back within a week. One lady takes quite a while. I think it took her about a month the last two times. She molted right after I broke her. My kids love when she is broody because they can hold her for a long time. She is definitely the least aggressive broody that I have ever had. That is why she is still around after going broody 5 times in her 18 months of life.

8. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I guess I am lucky mine started the next day.

9. kano

kano Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2008
    Santiago de Chile
    Quote:'Why you didn't broke her broodyness? It's so easy and , may be she suffers at the beginning, but she recovers very fast and for me is a pitty to look at the poor bird sitting there for nothing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by