1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody for the nth time

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brownysfp, Oct 11, 2011.

1. brownysfp

brownysfp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    Into the woodshed last evening to collect the day's offerings: greeted by churrs, trills and much fluffing of feathers. In the gloom a grey head peered over the edge of the nest-box; one of the four Coucou de France girls was sitting again. I think they wait until the end of the day before selecting the biggest clutch and I've lost count of how many times they've pulled this trick.
    She was moved this morning, clucking indignantly, into an isolation cage -as the woodshed is not predator-secure; I made a quick check of her haul: nine.

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Dang. I have no broody hens. Some people get all the luck! [​IMG]

3. brownysfp

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    She's really picked her moment as we've got a dozen Limousin (Coq du Peche) eggs coming this week. The supplier says she's always had problems with getting incubator eggs to hatch so our Coucou's purloined clutch will go into our incubator and she can sit on the Limousins. Result..!
    We have four CdF hens and three have spotless records with eggs and chicks; the only blot was a chick that got crushed during the night.

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Wow, she's got great timing! Good luck with your hard-to-hatch eggs.
    I've never heard of either of the breeds you mention. They have very cute sounding names.
    Can you post some photos of them please? I'd like to see them..

5. brownysfp

Dec 1, 2010
    Correze, France
    Hi, have a look at this link:

volaillepoultry.pagesperso-orange.fr/franc2.html

as it's an okay-ish intro to French breeds.

Along with the Coucous and the Limousine, our other French breeds are Clear and Dark Faverolles, Houdans, and Copper Black Marans.
    We're in the Haute Correze where the Limousine originated and there's an annual exhibition of the breed in Neuvic which is about 13kms from us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by